Travelling to Essex; Hertfordshire Police

HappyAfloat

www.happyafloat.com
shaunksb - the distance from my house to the marina - by the time I have caught a train home on an evening would require me to overnight in a train station. (please note I am not being awkward or pedantic)

Can someone share where it states Boat in these regulations because all I have seen is that "you cannot stay in holiday home, 2nd home ,overnight in a camper van or stay in a caravan"
and I totally agree with PaulRainbow to use common sense.
Regarding the RYA it maybe their recommendations but that's all it is - an opinion

but its ok for football players each team of 11 players excluding substitutes, medic, coach and manager (all x2 for both teams) to interact --- Commrad Corbyn must be thinking he's won after all

The wording of the regulation changed today, plenty of threads elsewhere on the forums.

No overnight stays away from home with a few exceptions.

The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020

jon and michie

Visit site
HappyAfloat - Thank you
It does state without reasonable excuse and as PaulRainbow stated item G subsection ii -- P may not lawfully travel there, or is required by law to stay in another place
I am pretty sure the emergency services would not be too happy if I was involved in an incident on the motorways which could impact 3 emergency services and recovery agents due to being fatigued when you always see on travel boards dont drive tired etc.
and before anyone say's dont travel to the boat then - which I am legally allowed to do - I am entitled to check on the security of the vessel in terms of looting as well as moorings

johnalison

Visit site
but its ok for football players each team of 11 players excluding substitutes, medic, coach and manager (all x2 for both teams) to interact --- Commrad Corbyn must be thinking he's won after all
I wasn't aware that Corbyn was a football manager/owner etc, but I take your point. My interpretation is that, as said, you can attend your boat, sail or whatever you wish, and drive there as far as you wish, but not stay the night on board or anywhere else. If the distance to your boat means that you can't comply, then you may not visit the boat. Period, as my American aunt used to say.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
But not unlawful to catch the train...

My wife can work in a food factory all week with 50 other women, some of whom are agency workers arriving in vehicles together, with next to no PPE, save for some gloves.

She could catch a train to the boat Sat AM and home Sat PM, and repeat on Sunday, but she can't sleep on the boat to save two train journeys. So better yet, she could drive to the boat, spend the weekend and then drive home, much safer.

According to Corbin sCummins we can use our judgement and after his insulting press interview and the corrupt sweep under the carpet, i'm going to be using mine.

I was fully behind the initial lockdown, but it's getting ridiculous now, totally ridiculous. More about money than anything resembling common sense. It's disturbing how easily they took away every right that we had, how easily will we get them back ? Will we ever get them back ? Now that they have got away with it all so easily, they'll be keen to take other liberties.

I think their support will fade very fast now and it won't be long before we start to see demonstrations.

Last edited:

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I wasn't aware that Corbyn was a football manager/owner etc, but I take your point. My interpretation is that, as said, you can attend your boat, sail or whatever you wish, and drive there as far as you wish, but not stay the night on board or anywhere else. If the distance to your boat means that you can't comply, then you may not visit the boat. Period, as my American aunt used to say.

I disagree, it clearly says there is no limit to the distance you can drive.

Concerto

Visit site
I was fully behind the initial lockdown, but it's getting ridiculous now, totally ridiculous. More about money than anything resembling common sense. It's disturbing how easily they took away every right that we had, how easily will we get them back ? Will we ever get them back ? Now that they have got away with it all so easily, they'll be keen to take other liberties.

I agree. Have you noticed how many new cycle lanes are being created in London during the lockdown. It has been reported as a news item.
Large areas of London to be made car-free as lockdown eased

To me London has become a no visit zone. The Ultra Low Emmision Zone operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and would cost me £12.50 (if you go past midnight it is 2 days). The Congestion Charge is £11.50 between 7am until 6pm. So £24 before paying for any parking, sorry but no thank you. This is a liberty that is being removed to drive on roads that have been paid for many times over through road tax, excise duty and rates. Not to mention the chance to catch motorists out with bus lanes, traffic light cameras, speed cameras and over zealous parking wardens. This has all happened in this century, so we are loosing our liberties at an alarming rate. Gone are the days when I used to drive to London for a meal and a show, it is just too expensive - I would rather sail to St Katherines and pay their high marina costs.

ex-Gladys

Visit site
I agree. Have you noticed how many new cycle lanes are being created in London during the lockdown. It has been reported as a news item.
Large areas of London to be made car-free as lockdown eased

To me London has become a no visit zone. The Ultra Low Emmision Zone operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and would cost me £12.50 (if you go past midnight it is 2 days). The Congestion Charge is £11.50 between 7am until 6pm. So £24 before paying for any parking, sorry but no thank you. This is a liberty that is being removed to drive on roads that have been paid for many times over through road tax, excise duty and rates. Not to mention the chance to catch motorists out with bus lanes, traffic light cameras, speed cameras and over zealous parking wardens. This has all happened in this century, so we are loosing our liberties at an alarming rate. Gone are the days when I used to drive to London for a meal and a show, it is just too expensive - I would rather sail to St Katherines and pay their high marina costs.
What? You mean the "they" that you and I elected?

johnalison

Visit site
I disagree, it clearly says there is no limit to the distance you can drive.
Clearly, you can drive as far as you wish, but you can't engage in an activity that means staying out overnight (barring exceptions). I can't, for example, drive to my boat in Scotland, knowing that this will force me to stay on board or choose other accomodation before returning. If you can't drive (or go by train) to your boat and back in one day, the regulations say you can't do it.

ianc1200

Visit site
Isn't everybody quoting the new Regulations without the bit at the very top - having a reasonable excuse. It says the list of reasonable excuses is not exhaustive. For me, it means staying overnight for a pleasant weekend is prohibited, but if say (like me, the reason I'm looking closely at this) my wooden boat will sink on the first night after launch unless I'm there to pump out continually is, for me, a reasonable excuse.
Still appears you can fish overnight on your boat though.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Isn't everybody quoting the new Regulations without the bit at the very top - having a reasonable excuse. It says the list of reasonable excuses is not exhaustive. For me, it means staying overnight for a pleasant weekend is prohibited, but if say (like me, the reason I'm looking closely at this) my wooden boat will sink on the first night after launch unless I'm there to pump out continually is, for me, a reasonable excuse.
Still appears you can fish overnight on your boat though.

I've got a couple of fishing rods for sale ?

jon and michie

Visit site
Clearly, you can drive as far as you wish, but you can't engage in an activity that means staying out overnight (barring exceptions). I can't, for example, drive to my boat in Scotland, knowing that this will force me to stay on board or choose other accomodation before returning. If you can't drive (or go by train) to your boat and back in one day, the regulations say you can't do it.
But you can set up your fishing gear and fish overnight and return home the following day

johnalison

Visit site
Yet the deputy mayor of Liverpool also breaks lockdown rules by having a birthday bash at her house before easing of restrictions - it is the one rule for one
and another rule for the others.

Deputy mayor suspended over lockdown gathering
Contemptible, but presumably the statistiticians take into acount the number of anti-social idiots that don't care about the rest of us.

Tammany

Visit site
You can go anywhere you like in England, Titchmarsh is certainly back open. Brightlingsea harbour is back in business with water taxis running again. You can't yet visit another maria or harbour though but plenty of anchorages to make use of. Holiday home & overnight usage is set to be back on from 3rd July assuming no changes in restrictions. A freind works at local caravan park and they are taking confirmed bookings for this date and onwards. Fingers crossed the infection rates stay low and we can get back to some sort of normal, although have to admit as both me & mrs are keyworkers nothings really changed for us except not being able to stay out anywhere.
Plus have you seen the worldwide protests going on at the moment, including London. So much for social distancing anyways.