Travelling to Essex; Hertfordshire Police

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
Well, is the dam starting to show cracks ?

Have to admit I did a bit of net curtain twitching this week on marinetraffic . Two yachts
overnight in Backwaters showing AIS signals. A friend tells me that he had an email from Queenborough saying that they can take visitors with conditions.

Oh dear ! Next week's weather is tempting ..................

johnalison

Visit site
The News Update from our commodore this week states that overnighting at anchor is still not permitted, though I believe that regulations will be soon be considerably relaxed, in the wake of the Cummings and goings, or not, as the case may be.

SiteSurfer

Visit site

stranded

Visit site
I don't normally get involved in discussions like this but come on.

The one about Newquay is about a dinghy!
The article says "yacht" and then.. "sails of his 16ft Dart catamaran"

Doesn’t matter - it only takes one example of a stupid yachtsman to undermine Tomahawks claim to superiority on that basis alone - and we all know there are many more examples than one, they just happened to be the first that popped up in google.

jon and michie

Visit site
The News Update from our commodore this week states that overnighting at anchor is still not permitted, though I believe that regulations will be soon be considerably relaxed, in the wake of the Cummings and goings, or not, as the case may be.
I think you're correct in that overnighting will be allowed especially in the Dommnic Cummings scandal

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Up in Lincolnshire, the Chief Constable is categorically forbidding Camper vans from staying overnight ..... I suspect that most of Yorkshire will be in Skeggy today so we'll see :)

The regs clearly state:

"There are no restrictions on how far you can travel to get to the countryside. However you should not stay overnight. Campsites and caravan parks are closed and you cannot visit a holiday or second home. "

Seems clear to me.

No mention anywhere of sleeping on a boat in open water, or anywhere else, come to that.

PaulRainbow

Visit site

Well, that's that then. If your club commodore says it's not allowed there's nothing more to say.

bedouin

Visit site
The regs clearly state:

"There are no restrictions on how far you can travel to get to the countryside. However you should not stay overnight. Campsites and caravan parks are closed and you cannot visit a holiday or second home. "

Seems clear to me.

No mention anywhere of sleeping on a boat in open water, or anywhere else, come to that.
Are you sure about that? Can you quote the section? I know an early draft was going to include the "not stay overnight" or "go there and back in a day" but I am pretty sure that was taken out of the final version.

stranded

Visit site
I'm 100% sure, because it's a direct quote from here:

Coronavirus – guidance on accessing green spaces safely
That’s the guidance, not the regulation. They are not the same thing. The regulation is what you might be breaking, though the court will take into account the guidance when interpreting it. The regulation says you can be away from your home with a reasonable excuse. Nowhere is “sleeping” suggested as a reasonable excuse, but there are differing opinions whether it might be as part of the watersport of sailing. I think not, but others make strong arguments why it should be. You takes your pick...

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Given the Cummins case, in particular his press conference, how could it be said that staying onboard ones boat for a couple of night, to save multiple journeys to and from the boat, was in breach of the guidance, against the spirit of the regulations or created a greater risk of contracting or spreading the virus ?

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
Given the Cummins case, in particular his press conference, how could it be said that staying onboard ones boat for a couple of night, to save multiple journeys to and from the boat, was in breach of the guidance, against the spirit of the regulations or created a greater risk of contracting or spreading the virus ?

The problem as I see it is classifying a boat as a holiday home and staying overnight. It
certainly is not a place of work like an oil rig or one's normal home. It is a recreational conveyance for pleasure surely. Well, pleasurable for some of the time anyway. :unsure:

What we don't want is to mess things up so we can't go sailing at all.

Last edited: