Towards Zero Failures in Swinging Moorings, by Jim Izzard

Finbar

Visit site
Anyone know where I can get hold of Towards Zero Failures
in Swinging Moorings, by Jim Izzard. I tried his email from an old posting, with no result

William_H

Visit site
I don't know the book or even think it is enough to fill a book. Rules for swing moorings might include..........
Use a heavy mass but consider adding anchors to stop it dragging.
Have a buoy to hold the tackle up when your boat is sailing.
Use as heavy (thick) metal as you can get in chains swivels and shackles. 12mm min.
Mouse shackles so they can't unscrew.
Never have stainless steel and iron contacting in tackle. If you must expect rapid wear of iron.
Use multiple rope pennants to the boat.
Beware of chafe of pennants on the gunwhale etc.
Inspect the components of the mooring intially 3 month intervals then with experience you cna extend inspection period.
There I have written a new book for you. good luck olewill

Finbar

Visit site
Many thanks, all good advice, but I would still like to get hold of the book. If it is out of print, anyone have a copy I could borrow, or a pdf. I will be happy to send a tenner to the RNLI in thanks,

Daydream believer

Visit site
I don't know the book or even think it is enough to fill a book. Rules for swing moorings might include..........
Use a heavy mass but consider adding anchors to stop it dragging.
Have a buoy to hold the tackle up when your boat is sailing.
Use as heavy (thick) metal as you can get in chains swivels and shackles. 12mm min.
Mouse shackles so they can't unscrew.
Never have stainless steel and iron contacting in tackle. If you must expect rapid wear of iron.
Use multiple rope pennants to the boat.
Beware of chafe of pennants on the gunwhale etc.
Inspect the components of the mooring intially 3 month intervals then with experience you cna extend inspection period.
There I have written a new book for you. good luck olewill

If that is your writing experience I would suggest you stick to the day job:encouragement::encouragement:

Finbar

Visit site
Many thanks for all advice. I have now been in touch with Jim Izzard, who has kindly let me have his booklet in pdf format as it is out of print. As the profit from the original publication went to the RNLI, I will make a local donation in Dun laoghaire. A useful and comprehensive publication. PM me if you want contact details.

Mooring Book Man

Visit site
Hard-copies of the book 'Towards Zero Failures in Swinging Moorings' are all sold out and profits passed to the RNLI. If you email me at zerofailmooring@yahoo.co.uk I'll send you the PDF files for each chapter in exchange for a few quid in your nearest RNLI box. I have just tested the email address to find that it works ok (today anyway). If there is a problem, call me on 01326-270042. Regards Jim Izzard

Other threads that may be of interest