Toast for Breakfast

G

My last boat had an excellent parafin stove, but when it came to making toast I had to resort to using a cheap and nasty contraption on the stove to make toast. The end result was either singed bread or burnt offerings.

I'm not too keen on using gas, so is there such a thing as a parafin stove with a griller? Alternatively, any recommendations on GOOD toaster that allows me to toast more than one slice at a time.

duncan

Visit site
I'm with Saltydog on this.
Amazing range of 'crispbreads' - last a reasonable time - can be warmed - and go well with good hot coffee /mamalade etc.
Bonus - make a great snack with cheese/ easy to eat underway!
Hail the crispbread!

snowleopard

Visit site
two answers involving toast

There are two types of toaster suitable for gas rings.

One is a tin pyramid with holes in on which you can theoretically toast up to 4 slices. But, (a) they have to be really tiny slices and they come out uneven (and in your case, tasting of paraffin.

The other sort, which really works, is a disc of asbestos-type substance with a metal grid on the top. Try an Aga dealer: that's what they're made for.

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
Stick with paraffin; you need a different gadget.

Know what you mean. You have got the pyramid type, I suspect. We also have a Taylor's paraffin stove, but our boat's toast is famous - we have a fitting (which came with the boat, years and years ago!) which consists of a metal ring (s/s) which fits into the ring in the stove top. In the middle of this ring is some metal gauze, which promptly gets red hot. Above it is a rack on which the slice of bread (one at a time, but it's quick!) is placed. The result is absolutely superb. Try and find one.

cynthia

Visit site
Re: Stick with paraffin; you need a different gadget.

Try the rectangular box type which sits on top of a burner. The inside has a metal slope, but you place the slices of bread (2) flat across the top. The main problem is it toasts too quickly, but the results are generally good.

A middle of the roader! (See above post)