This week’s “Tally Ho”..,

Bajansailor

Visit site
All this happened because of ONE, yes one, neighbour. I trust that they are feeling very pleased with themselves now.

"Clallam County’s Department of Community Development became involved after one neighbor complained about noise and dust coming from the Clark Road project site. "

I am baffled - how does deleting his Patreon account make life less noisy for the obnoxious neighbour, other than their possible hope that he will run out of funds and be forced to stop work. How petty is that?

"Goolden was threatened with $1,700 in daily fines if he did not apply for a conditional-use permit or delete his Patreon crowd-funding account, according to a letter he discussed in a Feb. 28 video that was viewed by more than 511,000."

So Mary Ellen is now back tracking fast - but this begs the question as to which evil minded SOB came up with this idea in the first place?

"Mary Ellen Winborn, Clallam County’s elected Community Development director, later clarified in an interview with the Peninsula Daily News that she did not approve the stipulation that Goolden must delete his Patreon account."

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
with three hundred thousand followers on Youtube. one of them is going to identify the Noxious Neighbour ere long, much as Leo doesn’t want them to.
Yes, statistically one of them is a nutter with issues, who will key her car or poison her poodle, perhaps making it harder for Leo to find a berth in future.
Fame is a double-edged sword, fingers crossed.

ridgy

Visit site
I gave up, terrible video quality. He should have done a trial run.
I'll watch the edited highlights on Saturday but I'll have a drink anyway...any excuse!

ridgy

Visit site
next job will presumably be planing off the hull; not very telegenic. Bulkheads and deck better.

Wouldn't that be best done after it has been moved?

Not that I know anything about the subject but fairing the hull would seem like the very last job to allow the wood to complete its seasoning/moving as much as possible.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Wouldn't that be best done after it has been moved?

Not that I know anything about the subject but fairing the hull would seem like the very last job to allow the wood to complete its seasoning/moving as much as possible.

It is done before caulking and the caulking adds a lot of strength to the structure. At the moment the strakes are only in contact at the inboard corners.

For total rigidity she needs the bulkheads and the deck (which will also need to be caulked).

tillergirl

Visit site
You are both right. It is all a matter of degrees. The mating joint isn't tight enough for the rigidity in my opinion. The deck in particular is critical. When I changed from a proper teak deck to marine ply I couldn't believe the difference in the rigidity of the structure. You could feel it (to explain, the teak [1"] failed because she was fastened originally with steel screws. You can hear the builder telling the owner ' she'll out live you' and she did but over the years some fastenings got rotted and then the caulking would never stay watertight)

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
You are both right. It is all a matter of degrees. The mating joint isn't tight enough for the rigidity in my opinion. The deck in particular is critical. When I changed from a proper teak deck to marine ply I couldn't believe the difference in the rigidity of the structure. You could feel it (to explain, the teak [1"] failed because she was fastened originally with steel screws. You can hear the builder telling the owner ' she'll out live you' and she did but over the years some fastenings got rotted and then the caulking would never stay watertight)

Been there, done that thing. There is a particular disease of teak decked boats with iron fastenings (mine were galvanised “dumps” called “the gutter effect”. The three sides of the deck beam that you see are fine...?

Other threads that may be of interest