The Scottish Zulu 'Violet'

Bajansailor

Visit site
The Scottish Zulu \'Violet\'

There was recently a discussion as to if an MFV whose photo was posted on here was perhaps a Zulu - hence why I thought I would share these photos of the lovely Zulu 'Violet' taken 9 years ago in Port Elizabeth, Bequia.

ZuluViolet1.jpg

ZuluViolet2.jpg

While here is a write up about her in the February 1999 issue of the Caribbean Compass :

Violet1.jpg

Violet2.jpg

And here is a photo of Marguerite T, the very fine pilot cutter restored by Covey Island Boatworks and mentioned above (she was also in Bequia at C'mas '98) :

MargueriteT.jpg

Bajansailor

Visit site
Re: The Scottish Zulu \'Violet\'

Thank you Stephen for this link to Violet being offered for sale - how fortunate will be her new Custodian who takes on the task of keeping her in the style she has become accustomed to since Gary's wonderful restoration!

And she is a veritable bargain for sure - a bit less than GBP 100k - one would be hard pressed to find another classic vessel in such immaculate condition at this price.

Re the photos I took above - we were on our boat anchored in Bequia at this time (Christmas) in 1998, and I had gone for a paddle round the anchorage in my little homebuilt plywood dinghy to have a look at the other yachts. I saw Marguerite T and paddled around her slowly, admiring her, and taking a couple of photos.
Her then Owner (John Steele, of Covey Island Boatworks) came up on deck and hailed me with the comment that I was the only person in the bay without an outboard or a RIB..... so I paddled over and said hello, and was invited on board to have a look around MT. And she was just drop dead gorgeous - they had done a very fine job of restoring her.

So then John tells me that there is another classic old yacht further over, on the other side of the bay, owned by a lad called Gary Maynard.

"Not Gary Maynard who sailed around the world in the 70's with his family on an engineless Spray replica called Scud?"
"Yes, thats him".
"Oh, I met them in Barbados on Scud in 1974, and I havent seen or heard of them since"

So I paddled over to Violet, and said hello, and Gary was quite gobsmacked to find somebody who remembered him from 24 years earlier, when he was about 15...... and invited me on board to meet Violet.

And I found that (like Marguerite T) she was (is) a veritable sailing work of art and craftsmanship - fine workmanship of the highest calibre imaginable.

It was most enjoyable catching up with Gary again after almost 25 years, and talking about mutual sailing friends from back then - some of whom were living on Carriacou about 30 miles south of Bequia. Gary was all for heaving up the anchors the next day to sail south to visit them, but I think social obligations made them stay a few more days in Bequia first (this wee island does tend to have this effect on her visitors).

And I later sent away to Wooden Boat for the back issue with the article by Gary describing her restoration - a very detailed and well written account of the trials and tribulations (and technical details of the workmanship employed) they experienced over the years to get Violet ready for the sea again.
If anybody would like a copy of this article, I can scan it and email it, no worries.

Carlotta

www.pilotcutter.ca

Small world.
That article in Woodenboat was a very large inspiration for Barb and I to find a workboat of our own to rebuild. I just pulled it out and read it again. Unfortunately I missed them when they sailed thru BC a few years ago.
Gary's father George Maynard had his boat named "Zulu"for sale recently too:
http://classifieds.woodenboats4sale.com/...query=retrieval

But I think it has been sold now.

boats.218.5.jpg

Seanick

www.nickgates.co.uk

Thanks for that post, inspiring ! I would love to have a read of that article. If you could email me a copy I would be most greatfull. I have rebuilt a similar vessel, now I just need to do the trip!
address on my home page.

[image]http://http://intheboatshed.net/?s=ocean+pearl[/image]

Bajansailor

Visit site

Here are a few photos from the Wooden boat article about Violet....

The first one shows the condition she was in when Gary acquired her :
Violet03.jpg

While here she is after completion of restoration - Gary subsequently painted the hull white before they sailed for the tropics.

Violet3.jpg

And I think that this one just sums up the power and magnificence of these Zulus :

Violet02.jpg

Re that impressive Fisherman catted on the bulwark - here is a list of her ground tackle, from the link provided by Stephen above :

Ground Tackle
Four anchors: 200-lb., 125-lb., and 100-lb. fisherman, and 60-lb. plow. Two 200' lengths of 1/2" chain, various anchor rodes, Lunenburg Foundry manual anchor windlass.

I love that hand crank windlass in the photo above, complete with massively long cranking arms!

SunyBay

www.swnymor.com

That Caribbean Compass article is brilliant. I'd never seen that before. My family is very good friends with the Maynards: we met them on board Violet at the Classic Boat Rendevous in Mystic Seaport, and they persuaded us to visit Martha's Vineyard, where we ended up staying a winter. I boat-sat for them over the winter, to keep Violet dry and to brush the snow off her. She is definitely a fantastic boat, and testament to Gary and Kristi's determination.

Ironically, a few months before that, we saw Marguerite T in Bequia with her new owners. My father and I went onboard: I don't know what she was like before, but she certainly was fantastic then. They sailed out of Bequia in company with a replica pilot cutter, right underneath the bows of the Stad Amsterdam. My father and I chased after them in our dinghy, and I managed to take some great photos. I will see if I can dig them out. We saw them again in St Lucia and then we went our separate ways: Marguerite T to Antigua for the Classics, and us up the East Coast of the US.

It's amazing how small a world the classic boat world is!

I'm actually going over to Martha's Vineyard to visit the Maynards next month - if I remember, I will try and show them this thread. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ccscott49

Visit site

I have thoise photos, it was during my trip down there to sail with my brother. When I get back aboard, I will send them to you. Offshore working at the moment.

SunyBay

www.swnymor.com

Oh, I have them somewhere, it's just that I've 'tidied up' all my photos off my computer and onto an external hard-drive! But you might be first to get at them!

And Bajansailor, I certainly will say hello from you! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JRMacGregor

Visit site

Hi Timboadi

I would be interested in any details of your Zulu - when and where built - and present location/appearance. Any pictures would be great.

timboadi

www.myspace.com

Hi Clan Gordon I dont get on here too often,
RIVAL was built in 1928 by Wilson Noble of Frazerburgh as a sailing vessel. Christened "PROSPECTO" Her fishing licence No WK 123 she was engined 20 yrs later(Kelvin 88Hp currently Ford Mermaid 150hp) Renamed RIVAL 2 in 1954 when she was sold to 3 fishermen & moved up to Wick She was decommisioned around 69-71
Currently my home, needs a fair bit of work very sweet natured and much loved by myself & my children.

If you go to

http://www.myspace.com/timwarner_coastfm And click on the pictures link there are some decent photo's of the old girl.

Tim.

violetcrew

Visit site
Zulu \'Violet\' Off the Market

Hi folks: Violet is off the market. We had some tire kickers, but no real serious parties interested except one fellow from NZ who backed out at the last minute. Turns out he was smart. If I can figure out how to upload photos, I'll show you the latest surgery on the old plug: an entirely new backbone, many new floor timbers, all new keel bolts and five strakes of bottom planking. I always had a fantasy about moving the internal ballast outside to stiffen her up, and we finally decided to do it this winter. Of course, we opened Pandora's box. Anyway, she'll be better than ever in a couple months, hopefully in time for summer.

Bajansailor

Visit site
Re: Zulu \'Violet\' Off the Market

Hi Gary, welcome to the Forum!

I am sure that everyone on here would love to see the photos of your latest surgical efforts on Violet - it sounds like a major job indeed. However I am sure that she will now be much more stiff with outside ballast, and well worth the effort.

Re posting photos, you need to have an online account with (for example) Photobucket (at www.photobucket.com ) - once you have set up your account there, and downloaded the photos, then all you have to do is :
1) 'hover' the mouse over the photo to post here
2) Click on the 'IMG Code' address that comes up at the bottom, and then click on 'copy', and paste it into your post here.

bf494.co.uk
Re: Zulu \'Violet\' Off the Market

be interested to see the pics, currently rebuilding an old Fifie - Pansy, worked on the moray firth at the same time as violet, not 100% but think I've a photo of violet int he 50's somewhere with pansy alongside, taken in Macduff