The major restoration of Chance (Token) James Silver Western Isles Motor sailer

jstarmarine

Visit site
I have taken over the ownership of Chance (Token) the James Silver Western Isles Motor Sailer which was originally built in 1948 and is now in need of a full restoration from Keel to coachhouse roof although she looks a bit of mess at the moment once I have got rid of the paint on the hull and cabin sides then I will a better idea of how much work is going to be needed on the hull and the cabin side. The next time I go to Chance which was her original name and the name she is going to have when she is relaunched.

There is Chance in the background

One of the major areas of rotten planking that needs replacing

On the whole the boat looks in reasonable condition when you get past the poor condition of the paint work and look under the surface

Much of the rotten wood is in areas of poor air flow in the past and the lack of been look after over the past few years

single rudder which was normal practice in the period when Chance was build

One area that need attention to stop the bow moving a block under the bow to support the forefoot of the keel

jstarmarine

Visit site
She will be gorgeous..what motors?
The motors are the original Dorman diesels motors she was build with in 1948. I know getting parts is going to be difficult however I am sure there are people on this forum who are going to point in the right direction when it get to that point in the restoration. . The first job I have to do is remove all the rubbish and loose items from in the inside of the boat so that I can get to the hull to release the planks and use the correct method to refasten the planks on to the ribs and frames.

tillergirl

Visit site
I am looking forward to the continuing story of the work, both fabric and machinery. I was captured many many years ago when I was small. I had got a book out at the library (I might need to explain what that means to some peeps!) about a chap who bought a Silver in similar circumstances and brought her back to life. The final chapter was about crossing the Channel. She must have been a large Silver as I recall he talked about the 'engine room'. I would love to read that book again but have never found it on the second-hand book sites. Probably too vague to find it.

I have said elsewhere I would love if your images could be larger (y)

Are you bringing her down to your premises?

jstarmarine

Visit site
If any one can help I am looking for her build number so that I can see if Silver marine have any of the records of when she was built and if there are any build plans of the boat in the their archives.

Minerva

Visit site
I had a mooring for a few years near to Rhu, across from the old Silvers' yard. Still some Silvers' boats cutting about on the Clyde today - some floating works of art.

All the best!

jstarmarine

Visit site
I am looking forward to the continuing story of the work, both fabric and machinery. I was captured many many years ago when I was small. I had got a book out at the library (I might need to explain what that means to some peeps!) about a chap who bought a Silver in similar circumstances and brought her back to life. The final chapter was about crossing the Channel. She must have been a large Silver as I recall he talked about the 'engine room'. I would love to read that book again but have never found it on the second-hand book sites. Probably too vague to find it.

I have said elsewhere I would love if your images could be larger (y)

Are you bringing her down to your premises?
Hi Tillergirl,

Our paths have crossed in the past over the years. This James Silver is 40foot and the engines are under the wheelhouse sole. However, she does have a machinery room in the aft end, which as all the pipe work for the engine cooling system and the pipes for the bilge pump, it as one bilge pump with pipes off to each of the compartments of the bilge. so you can empty all of them or just one. At the moment the inside of the boat is in a bit of a mess condition. So next time I am up at the boat the first job is to empty the rubbish and skip it. all the loose equipment will come back with me to my Yard. After I have her in a condition to move her safely I will be bring her back to my yard in Essex.

jstarmarine

Visit site
I had a mooring for a few years near to Rhu, across from the old Silvers' yard. Still some Silvers' boats cutting about on the Clyde today - some floating works of art.

All the best!
Thank you, I will post updates as we progress the work on the boat over the next two years,

SaltIre

Visit site
Last edited:

tillergirl

Visit site
Hi Tillergirl,

Our paths have crossed in the past over the years. This James Silver is 40foot and the engines are under the wheelhouse sole. However, she does have a machinery room in the aft end, which as all the pipe work for the engine cooling system and the pipes for the bilge pump, it as one bilge pump with pipes off to each of the compartments of the bilge. so you can empty all of them or just one. At the moment the inside of the boat is in a bit of a mess condition. So next time I am up at the boat the first job is to empty the rubbish and skip it. all the loose equipment will come back with me to my Yard. After I have her in a condition to move her safely I will be bring her back to my yard in Essex.

I do wish I could remember that book because most of the book was about the restoration. Post war I am sure this was.

It will be great to get her down to Essex and get a grip of her. The images of course are very difficult to allow one to judge but she looks to me to have a lot more life. If I had stumbled over a Silver while I was looking at Tiller Girl I would have probably gone over to motor then. Especially with some original engines!

jstarmarine

Visit site
I do wish I could remember that book because most of the book was about the restoration. Post war I am sure this was.

It will be great to get her down to Essex and get a grip of her. The images of course are very difficult to allow one to judge but she looks to me to have a lot more life. If I had stumbled over a Silver while I was looking at Tiller Girl I would have probably gone over to motor then. Especially with some original engines!
My first job when I get back to the boat will be -mark off all the planks I need to remove, also get to grips with the transom which will need to replaced completely as it is double diagonal planking over a framework. This job will be very interesting as it as been a few years since I done any great amount of that type of construction. So it will be time to blow away the cobwebs and start to have some fun. Another job that I will need to do is get rid of all the old paint off the hull and the cabin sides. The cabin side should have been varnished like many of her close sister ships. It would be good to find out if the other Western Isles is still afloat and if it is to have a look at her to see if they were build with the same interior or a similar interior. So let the fun begin and see where it takes me.

jstarmarine

Visit site
If the transom is completely shot do you intend to recreate the double diagonal or replace with a laminated transom?
Hi Gary,
I intent to put it back as it was originally done, double diagonal, Also may even varnish it. I know one thing, if I can get rid of the paint on the aft cabin sides and the wheelhouse they are going to be re-varnished as they would of been when she was originally build. First job is to get Chance (Token) leveled up and hull supported correctly and then mark off the work needed and make a restoration plan and costing for each stage.

tillergirl

Visit site
I have just seen the images on the other thread where they are bigger. Having seen the images larger I think you have made a good choice. I admit being surprised that the transom was double diagonal. I didn't realise they did that. Interesting. The stern gear looks in very good condition in the circumstances. Just as well you aren't on Mersea. I would be agitating you to get on with it!:)

You ought to start a dialogue with Jamie (Sampson Boat Company).

jstarmarine

Visit site
I have just seen the images on the other thread where they are bigger. Having seen the images larger I think you have made a good choice. I admit being surprised that the transom was double diagonal. I didn't realise they did that. Interesting. The stern gear looks in very good condition in the circumstances. Just as well you aren't on Mersea. I would be agitating you to get on with it!:)

You ought to start a dialogue with Jamie (Sampson Boat Company).
Hi Tillergirl,
Thank you for the words of encouragement, I am going back to her in a couple of weeks to start getting the rubbish off the boat so that I can get a better look at the interior and see much of the inside paneling and wood work can be removed without damaging the interior. Because the transom is on the small side and the curve of the transom is in two different directions, Therefore in order to shape it the way they did double diagonal was a good choice to build it up. The stern gear is in reasonable condition. The A bracket cutlass bearing are in need of replacing as there is movement in the bearing. When it comes to that stage of the restoration, it may well be that I change the shafts and cutless bearing at the same time and may be the propellers if they are U/S . The first order of the day will be to clean up the inside and get any rain water that is laying in the bilge and blank off the windows in the wheelhouse and then go round the hull marking off the rotten or damaged planks and then ordering the plank stock to renew the planks. Then get some covers to put over the boat while she is in the north west until I get a time slot to get her back home to Essex.

jstarmarine

Visit site
Dear Forum members,

I am looking for information about the early part James Silver Western Isles TSMY Chance (Token) life, such as who owned her, the dates that she was owned by different people during her long life. I do not need any information along the last 15 years as I know who owned during this time. It is just her time until the 2000. Also does anyone know if the second Western Isles is still in commission or if she as long since gone into the mists of time.

Kind Regards

Simon

jstarmarine

Visit site
Any news Simon? I'm keen to hear progress.
Hi tillergirl,
Going over to the boat tomorrow morning to take a full inventory of what is on the boat and mark out the rotten planks and blank off the windows in the wheelhouse and the missing port lights and take lots of photos to put on the forum and a video