The 12 metre class were used for America's Cup Racing, but the class is still alive.

Topcat47

Visit site
I wonder if the AC75's will still being raced in 50 years time.
I doubt they'l have a future outside of the AC. Personally they remained me of Gekko's I saw in Botswana, lifting their legs to keep their feet cool. They're littoral practical use for the average sailor.Can you imagine ding the ARC in one?

Frogmogman

Visit site
I doubt they'l have a future outside of the AC. Personally they remained me of Gekko's I saw in Botswana, lifting their legs to keep their feet cool. They're littoral practical use for the average sailor.Can you imagine ding the ARC in one?
Oh, come on ! Do me a favour.

How many 12m class AC boats have you seen on the ARC ?

The current crop will no doubt be enjoyed in the future by sailors who are enthralled by AC75 racing today, just as the 12m class boats are cherished by people who loved that era of the AC back in the day, such as those who feature on the excellent clip that Concerto posted.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
She actually had quite an IOR career! She was owned by Ted Turner when she was first home in the Fastnet and the Sydney Hobart, and indeed the SORC, and Turner then sold her to Warren Brown who named her, like all his boats, “War Baby”, and owned and campaigned her in IOR events up to 1982, with line honours in the Middle Sea Race.

She is now back racing as a 12 metre in Newport.

She might have been about the last traditionally built wooden yacht to win those races.

Concerto

Visit site
J Class anyone? ... now that would be my preference.
You must have very deep pockets then. :) :) :) They do look so graceful with long overhangs and narrow beam. Back in the early 1970's I remember seeing Valsheda in a shed in Campa and Nicholsons. All her hull plating had been removed for restoration and at the time the owner had run out of money and she had an uncertain future then.

For those who do not know how graceful the J Class are then watch this video.

Last edited:

Frogmogman

Visit site
She actually had quite an IOR career! She was owned by Ted Turner when she was first home in the Fastnet and the Sydney Hobart, and indeed the SORC, and Turner then sold her to Warren Brown who named her, like all his boats, “War Baby”, and owned and campaigned her in IOR events up to 1982, with line honours in the Middle Sea Race.

She is now back racing as a 12 metre in Newport.

She might have been about the last traditionally built wooden yacht to win those races.

You can charter her if you like.........

US 21 American Eagle — 12 Meter Yacht Charters

Concerto

Visit site
It’s fair to say that the J class were used for the America’s Cup races before the 12 metre class were, and there are now more J class yachts racing than there ever have been!View attachment 110774
Being a tradionalist, I still do not like black sails. Much prefer white, which is more in keeping with the look from the 1930's.

Frogmogman

Visit site
It’s fair to say that the J class were used for the America’s Cup races before the 12 metre class were, and there are now more J class yachts racing than there ever have been!View attachment 110774
This has been one of the joys for me of the Voiles de Saint Tropez; in some years there have been as many as six J class racing; and on occasion we have had courses that coincided with theirs.

I'll never forget one race in 2013 when shortly after rounding the leeward mark, Velsheda rounded just after us, and powered through to weather of us, no more than 2 boat lengths away, and seconds later Hanuman sailed through us on the other side. Amazing spectacle.

Concerto

Visit site
I should photograph the model I have of J Class Endeavor. The model was presented by Sir Thomas Sopwith to an aircraft parts manufacturer who made parts for Endeavor. The model was given to me by the widow of a descendant of the aircraft parts manufacturer. It is very stylish and just needs a little TLC to get it like new again. I suspect there were only a few made and is probably quite valuable.