Summer Sailing on the West Coast

Kelpie

Visit site
We have the same rules. Fortunately our first stop is the Uists and despite cruising here for ten years we have never dropped the hook in the same anchorage twice. In some cases that meant visiting a bay within sight of a previous stop of course, e.g. we've been to the Wizard's Pool only once, but other anchorages within the same loch a few times.

Marinas are useful for getting water, and can be a bit more sociable, but on balance anchoring saves time and is more pleasant. I suppose all these new pontoons that have sprung up are like fly paper for yachts, and they probably help keep the anchorages clear.

ctva

Visit site
Wizard Pool in behind the tiny island, we stopped there with the kids in 2006 mainly because they were Harry Potter fans and well, the name just stuck out. Must go back.

Kelpie, you forgot the main reason we anchor... we're tight!! :)

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Marinas are useful for getting water, and can be a bit more sociable, but on balance anchoring saves time and is more pleasant. I suppose all these new pontoons that have sprung up are like fly paper for yachts, and they probably help keep the anchorages clear.
I like both Salen (Loch Sunart) and Ulva Ferry as places to restock, but otherwise, yes, anchoring for me.
I'm told, by the way, that the diesel supply at Tobermory is (or by now was) out of service, which may explain why Ulva Ferry was very busy with people refuelling.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
I like both Salen (Loch Sunart) and Ulva Ferry as places to restock, but otherwise, yes, anchoring for me.
I'm told, by the way, that the diesel supply at Tobermory is (or by now was) out of service, which may explain why Ulva Ferry was very busy with people refuelling.

The Kyle of Lochalsh ones used to be good as well - almost all visiting boats & everyone either going to or coming back from the North or the Outers or waiting for the tide. I hope they get sorted & return.

Interestingly, Kyleakin has loads of space. All the decrepit semi abandoned junk that used to infest the pontoons seems to have gone. As it's a council run harbour I wonder if the HM had a clear out given the demise of the KoL pontoons.

Last edited:

adwuk

Visit site
Having started going North yesterday, we had a change of heart. So South to Berneray, a brisk walk to Barra Head light and a blether with the lads clearing the ditches on the way only to discover that the puffins had gone fishing for the day. Round the West of Mingulay and now anchored in Sgeirislum for the night. First proper sail all week.

20210721_201917.jpg

penfold

Visit site
We voyaged to the exotic realm of Loch Goil and stopped at the Loch Goil Cruisers pontoon; ~3m at low tide alongside the outer finger so plenty depth for sailors. Unfortunately the Boatshed Cafe is closed mondays and tuesdays, so it was beer and cake à la cockpit instead, followed by a grand tour of the loch in a steady 10kts and terrible drizzle because Scotland's awful and you wouldn't like it, finished off with anchoring in the Pig's Orifice. The braver crew members challenged themselves and their digestive systems with an out-of-date Fray Bentos mystery meat pie. Moderately busy; there was one boat already in the anchorage when we got there around beer o'clock, then another two arrived about an hour before sunset.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
We voyaged to the exotic realm of Loch Goil and stopped at the Loch Goil Cruisers pontoon; ~3m at low tide alongside the outer finger so plenty depth for sailors.
I have never warmed to Lochgoilhead, perhaps because of too many childhood memories of sadistically abusive senior scouts and drunken leaders, but I like Carrick Castle very much, not least because it has spectacularly fast wifi at the visitor moorings. 40 - 50 Mbps, iirc.

SaltIre

Visit site
Having started going North yesterday, we had a change of heart. So South to Berneray, a brisk walk to Barra Head light and a blether with the lads clearing the ditches on the way only to discover that the puffins had gone fishing for the day. Round the West of Mingulay and now anchored in Sgeirislum for the night. First proper sail all week.

View attachment 119306
Do you realise you've dropped a fender overboard? :unsure:

SaltIre

Visit site
We voyaged to the exotic realm of Loch Goil and stopped at the Loch Goil Cruisers pontoon; ~3m at low tide alongside the outer finger so plenty depth for sailors. Unfortunately the Boatshed Cafe is closed mondays and tuesdays, so it was beer and cake à la cockpit instead, followed by a grand tour of the loch in a steady 10kts and terrible drizzle because Scotland's awful and you wouldn't like it, finished off with anchoring in the Pig's Orifice. The braver crew members challenged themselves and their digestive systems with an out-of-date Fray Bentos mystery meat pie. Moderately busy; there was one boat already in the anchorage when we got there around beer o'clock, then another two arrived about an hour before sunset.
Were the midges bad?:(

penfold

Visit site
Were the midges bad?:(
They were probably awful too, but given the only thing to induce the weak-minded to venture into their realm at that locale was the Carrick Hotel and it was bulldozed years ago, we toasted their good health with a nice malt ? served at saloon temperature.

tyce

Visit site

If that was yesterday then I do believe I was enjoying the anchorage with you (we were the one with the water obsessed dog) very pleasant evening was had.

ctva

Visit site

View attachment 119306
Wow, not been there... yet! If you forget the fender, I'll pick it up next year. ;)
Never sailed TO Lochgoilhead, however...
I have never warmed to Lochgoilhead, perhaps because of too many childhood memories of sadistically abusive senior scouts and drunken leaders...
I hope us staff were nicer, I don't recall succeeding in any sadistic behavior. I think...
A question, in all innocence.... :cool:

Preferences of 'anchors mix' for the West Coast/Islands?

Anchor Mix? That's a new phrase. If you mean main and spare, I think Rocnas and other NG proliferate. Our spare is the toy Delta that came with the boat. Over the years I first had a Kobra 2, then a Rocna. Neither has so far failed me in even iffy conditions (all bits of wood duly touched).

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I hope us staff were nicer, I don't recall succeeding in any sadistic behavior. I think...
The Lochgoilhead staff were great. I have never forgiven my Sea Scout troops leaders for going down the pub every night and leaving the PLs to run a reign of terror.

Which ended with the helicopter ambulance evacuation of a scout they nearly killed on the weekly walk to Carrick Castle: whipping a child with nettles until and after he has collapsed from a life-threatening asthma attack is not generally recommended practice. I left early, and when I went back to the first autumn meeting all the PLs and all but one of the leaders had been permanently removed from scouting. The utter bastards. I still hate them, forty years on.

And ... relax.

zoidberg

Visit site
If you mean main and spare, I think Rocnas and other NG proliferate. Our spare is the toy Delta that came with the boat. Over the years I first had a Kobra 2, then a Rocna. Neither has so far failed me in even iffy conditions (all bits of wood duly touched).

Something about that suggests you're a Millenial.

I've sailed up that way, intermittently, over the decades and usually in OPBs. I've used what was provided - mostly hefty CQRs with lots of sound chain - and always, always, made the anchor-tackle work. Never has an anchor 'failed me'.

I'm tempted to think it's more likely the other way round.....

;)