Solar panel regulator showing over voltage

Fergal

Visit site
Hi

I have a 40w solar panel that has worked fine for a number of years (c5yrs) but recently the regulator indicates 'over voltage' and blows the inline fuse.

I have changed the regulator but the problem remains.

I would be grateful for any advice on the next steps.

Thanks

fredrussell

Visit site
I suppose the first step would be to get a multi meter on panel on a good sunny day and see what it's output is.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Good advice ..... but surely it can't be the panel producing too high a voltage for the regulator as the two were matched correctly originally. I don't see how it could be possible that the panel now produces a higher max voltage than it did previously. :confused:

Richard

VicS

Visit site
Hi

I have a 40w solar panel that has worked fine for a number of years (c5yrs) but recently the regulator indicates 'over voltage' and blows the inline fuse.

I have changed the regulator but the problem remains.

I would be grateful for any advice on the next steps.

Thanks

I assume the fuse is between the battery and the regulator ? What value is it ?

You don't provide any info on the regulator. Make and model? Type; PWM, MPPT ??

Does the regulator have "load" terminals? if so what, if any, equipment do you have connected to them.

Do the instructions suggest any causes for the "overvoltage" indication ?

When first connecting did you follow the instructions ........ sometimes connection to the battery before the solar panel is necessary.

lpdsn

Visit site
Where is the fuse that blows? Solar panel specs generally seem to include a short circuit current that's not a huge amount more than the rated current. So is the current to blow the fuse coming from the panel or the batteries?

First thoughts are a regulator fault, but you've changed that.