Smugglers Cottage, Tolverne

Tintin

Visit site
I just popped into the Smugglers Cottage at Tolverne today as they have a nice new shiny pontoon, and the whole place has had a major revamp.

They still have their mooring buoys which seem Ok (to me anyway) for up to about 36ft, and from memory there is enough water for 1.8m keel to be happy (but pls check and do your own maths).

They are also happy for people to moor up to their shiny pontoon (which is still waiting some more sections, which looks like it has enough depth (certainly more than the Pandora) but part of the hammerhead is reserved for the ferry to stop at.

Their website is at http://tregothnan.co.uk/smugglers/

Mooring is free if you are eating, and you used to be able to stay overnight if you ate - the website isn't clear about this at the moment.
It is part of the Tregothnan Estate, and you can sip cups of locally grown tea!

The y are doing eveneing meals (currently Fri / Sat but you need to book) and the menu looks good but a touch pricey, but i'd be happy to pay if it is decent nosh 'cos the setting is perfect.

I've got nothing to do with the place and I haven't eaten there yet, but its good to see a waterside restaurant / cafe get the makeover. Roll on the summer.

Last edited:

longjohnsilver

Visit site
I just popped into the Smugglers Cottage at Tolverne today as they have a nice new shiny pontoon, and the whole place has had a major revamp.

They still have their mooring buoys which seem Ok (to me anyway) for up to about 36ft, and from memory there is enough water for 1.8m keel to be happy (but pls check and do your own maths).

They are also happy for people to moor up to their shiny pontoon (which is still waiting some more sections, which looks like it has enough depth (certainly more than the Pandora) but part of the hammerhead is reserved for the ferry to stop at.

Their website is at http://tregothnan.co.uk/smugglers/

Mooring is free if you are eating, and you used to be able to stay overnight if you ate - the website isn't clear about this at the moment.
It is part of the Tregothnan Estate, and you can sip cups of locally grown tea!

The y are doing eveneing meals (currently Fri / Sat but you need to book) and the menu looks good but a touch pricey, but i'd be happy to pay if it is decent nosh 'cos the setting is perfect.

I've got nothing to do with the place and I haven't eaten there yet, but its good to see a waterside restaurant / cafe get the makeover. Roll on the summer.

Yes it's a lovely spot and agree with all you say. We did eat there a few years back and yes, the food was expensive and the portions minuscule which spoilt it for us. Let's hope they've improved in that respect.

Achillesheel

Visit site
Stayed there a couple of times last year. The food is expensive and portions tiny, and you get what it says on the tin, i.e. sausage & mash was sausages and some mash, no extra veg etc.

We were there in a 36 footer at LWS, and were aground briefly. But its a beautiful spot, even if you are surrounded by redundant shipping.

Duffer

Visit site
It's an interesting spot. It is OK at neaps but shallow at springs - in which case you can go round the corner to the visitor's pontoon.

photodog

Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthor
Visit site
I yhink mr jcb has shifted his boats now....

Is the place still littered with signs ala...

By order of the fuerher there will be no throwing of stones!

I always found the place a dissapointment... Not a proper pub , just a glorified tea room.. And managment with all the charm of the gestapo...