Sirius 310 DS - Amazing or What?

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
See post #14.

Coincidentaly, #14 is her Hull Number.

Took three years research, looking at crap and the odd well presented boat plus meeting many brokers who were in the wrong job.

We spent far more than was necessary but you cant take it with you and we both really enjoy the boat.

Which, after all, is what it all boils down to.
Interesting. IP generally are marmite boats, those that love them are absolutely in love. I’ve just sold a marmite boat - Nauticat - and bought a replacement. I absolutely share your sentiments about brokers. Likewise we spent more than was necessary and again share your sentiment in that regard too.

Good job we don’t all like the same boats otherwise it’d be very dull.....

doris

Visit site
Think "magnolia"....
Oi. Magnolia is just as popular today as it always has been its just that Farrow and Ball have much sexier names for it. The same thought process probably works for lots of matters boaty too.

pvb

Visit site
Oi. Magnolia is just as popular today as it always has been its just that Farrow and Ball have much sexier names for it. The same thought process probably works for lots of matters boaty too.

In truth, I always think IPs are a strange shade of pink, but owners prefer to say they're "magnolia".

Laminar Flow

Visit site
You can can complain all you like about the colour choice of the IPs, but their interiors are designed for real humans and not just some over-thought exercise in spacial gimmickery. That includes a galley which allows greater access to culinary ambition than that required for heating a can of fried beans and heads that do not require stripping down and greasing up the body before being able to gain access by reversing in.
They are comfortable cruising boats, pure and simple. For that their owners are quite happy to make some considered concessions on out and out performance and an awkward choice of colour.

pvb

Visit site
New model it says, 1000 miles range under engine, draught 3ft 8in, happy days for aficionados of the type:

With a base price of about £400K, I'd imagine it will be around £600K once options and tax are added. That's a lot, and it isn't pretty.

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
New model it says, 1000 miles range under engine, draught 3ft 8in, happy days for aficionados of the type:

Island Packet 42 Motor Sailer | S&J Yachts

Except the on the water price is around half a million dollars in the USA. Out of reach for many - especially us!

We were lucky to find a tatty neglected one and managed to get a good deal from the owner who was keen to sell.

We put 10K aside to put it right but due to its inherent quality of build and high end bought in components only 1.5K was required.

As laminar flow says, very comfortable cruising boats.

But not for everyone.

rotrax

Visit site
The view from the wheelhouse while wearing your favourite t-shirt makes up for all that, especially when its raining cats &dogs and all the others are shoveling spray and green water.

Dead on.

We have 2K's worth of offshore sailing gear. In the last 4 seasons it has been worn, by me only, just for the time it took to fit the fenders and warps and come alongside.

Go back to an aft cockpit yacht - no way.

Just insulated all the easily reachable blown air heating pipes, cost 80 quid.

I'm in trouble again - First Mate now says she is getting too hot!

claymore

Visit site
What a lovely boat. Slightly saddened that my pension won't stretch to purchase one -
In some ways the Konsort Duo and Moody Eclipse are not dissimilar.

(Stands back and waits for howls of dissent!)

johnalison

Visit site
I dont mind criticism, but, IMHO, your post adds little of value, just shows a personal dislike of the colour, or is an attemp at points scoring. Which has not worked.

Well, take it from me, the attributes of our chosen vessel far outweigh its colour.

Despite its quality and features, because of its colour it will never be an AWB, will it?

Could easily become a MAB I suppose......................... ;)
Not points scoring but making a point; that the supposed rationale for the colour as being non-dazzling when used for the deck does not work for the hull colour, which is an aesthetic decision, unless IP get the pigment cheap by buying it in bulk, I suppose, in which case it becomes an economic one.

rotrax

Visit site
Not points scoring but making a point; that the supposed rationale for the colour as being non-dazzling when used for the deck does not work for the hull colour, which is an aesthetic decision.

Absolutely. And a subjective one at that.

The fact that they have stuck with it for so long indicates that buyers are happy.

One good point is that our boat is easy to find among the AWB's.

RIBW

Visit site
When I did the rounds at the 2019 Southampton Boatshow, with my "spec leveller" spreadsheet I came out with:
Sirius 310 For 2 comfort with big rig & lead keel to my cruising spec £340k inc VAT
Rassy 310 to similar spec £210k inc VAT
Rassy 340 to similar spec £315 inc VAT
Discovery built Southerly 330 to similar spec £330 inc VAT
The Sirius is definitely an impressive boat....and, of course a custom build.
Has anyone done a survey of available newly built deck saloon boats of the same ilk as the 35DS and/or the 310DS.
I found the Moody 41DS but the extra 6' means extra berthing cost/difficulty and and less solo friendly.
Bob

stuartwineberg

Visit site
Here are some comparisons I pulled together of what, to me, were the standout boats at Southampton in 2019 - which included the Sirius 310. My key criteria was suitability for long term, single handed, cruising. [ Cruising grounds Ireland, Baltic, North Sea, Atlantic France, (one day, North Spain, Portugal) - ie coastal cruising, rather than ocean crossing ]. Boat shaped boat review 2020.
Well written - thank you

rotrax

Visit site
IMHO and direct experience the Southerly boats do not 'wear' as well as the 1999 Island Packet 350 we owned for six years.

A Southerly owning berth neighbour was amazed to find our previous boat was five years older than his and was in better condition in all respects.

His boat, however, was a superior sailing vessel and a bit handier in the Marina.