Round Britian day 1

Concerto

Visit site
Left the Medway this morning at 8.30 from Stangate Creek and arrived in Harwich at 4. Started with reefed mainsail and full genoa as some stronger winds were forecast from midday. Near the top of the Barrow, I reefed the head sail as the wind increased. The wind was between 30 degrees either side of dead aft, so sometime was goose winged. No idea of the wind speed as I have not refitted the wind strut. Once I reached the top of Gunfleet Sands, I turned toward Harwich and was on a beam reach. This also meant I was over canvased so had to double reef both sails. Even then she was incredibly powerful and charging along at over 7 knots, once breaking 8 knots. A really blustery sail with the log showing 6½ to 7¼ knots for most of the day. 52 miles in 7½ hours, nearly 7 knots over the ground average speed. On one section between Barrow No.12 and Barrow No.4, which is 11 miles, I completed this in 70 minutes with the tide underneath me. Leaving the Medway and entering Harwich were the slow sections, and dragged the average speed down. The real bummer was I wanted to stop at Woolverstone Marina, but due to the North Sea Race finishing tonight, they were not taking any other visitors, so picked up a mooring just down river of Pin Mill. Surprisingly I seemed to miss virtually all the rain showers.

Took some good videos today, so must start preparing the next YouTube offering. Too windy to test my drone.

Tomorrow I am heading to Lowestoft. Hopefully the next day I will be in Wells-next-the-sea and then onto Hull, Scarborough, Whitby, Hartlepool, etc. Some places will be just for an overnight stop and others will be 2 nights.

MADRIGAL

Visit site
Left the Medway this morning at 8.30 from Stangate Creek and arrived in Harwich at 4. Started with reefed mainsail and full genoa as some stronger winds were forecast from midday. Near the top of the Barrow, I reefed the head sail as the wind increased. The wind was between 30 degrees either side of dead aft, so sometime was goose winged. No idea of the wind speed as I have not refitted the wind strut. Once I reached the top of Gunfleet Sands, I turned toward Harwich and was on a beam reach. This also meant I was over canvased so had to double reef both sails. Even then she was incredibly powerful and charging along at over 7 knots, once breaking 8 knots. A really blustery sail with the log showing 6½ to 7¼ knots for most of the day. 52 miles in 7½ hours, nearly 7 knots over the ground average speed. On one section between Barrow No.12 and Barrow No.4, which is 11 miles, I completed this in 70 minutes with the tide underneath me. Leaving the Medway and entering Harwich were the slow sections, and dragged the average speed down. The real bummer was I wanted to stop at Woolverstone Marina, but due to the North Sea Race finishing tonight, they were not taking any other visitors, so picked up a mooring just down river of Pin Mill. Surprisingly I seemed to miss virtually all the rain showers.

Took some good videos today, so must start preparing the next YouTube offering. Too windy to test my drone.

Tomorrow I am heading to Lowestoft. Hopefully the next day I will be in Wells-next-the-sea and then onto Hull, Scarborough, Whitby, Hartlepool, etc. Some places will be just for an overnight stop and others will be 2 nights.
Following your progress with interest. Thanks for the report.

Paulfireblade

Visit site
I wa going in the opposite direction and unfortunately the tide times were not as favourable going South from Shotley to Burnham on Crouch.

The tides didn’t work for my draught in the Spitway so I had to go down the Kings Channel the gusts got over 30 knots at a couple of times.

johnalison

Visit site
I found Lowestoft an interesting challenge with 3 knots across the entrance, I entered it at 45°. A warm welcome at the RNSYC and a decent meal.

If you have not been before the gents are well worth a visit.
You did well. We arrived too late for dinner and the kind gentleman directed us to Wetherspoons, which was about the worst meal that I have ever been presented with. If you enjoy funny entances, try Vlieland at full tide.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
You did well. We arrived too late for dinner and the kind gentleman directed us to Wetherspoons, which was about the worst meal that I have ever been presented with. If you enjoy funny entances, try Vlieland at full tide.
We arrived at 0100 so nobody was about, parked on the fuel pontoon as the visitors pontoon was full, poured two large drams after emptying the glasses went to sleep. I'll keep Vlieland in mind.