Round Britain day 81

Concerto

Visit site
A very lazy morning chatting with club members. When the Broom motorboat astern of me moved back to his mooring, I decided to leave having said many goodbyes. The general advice was I should visit Down Cruising Club, so off I motored directly into wind. About halfway there the engine stopped. I had forgotten to check the fuel tank in my laziness and it was now empty. What a fool. So instead of using my auxiliary, I had to use my main motive power source, my sails. So I raised full sail and started sailing at 5 knots to windward. Then it came time to tack, which I did. Then I thought, could I sail into Down alongside the pontoon. Yes, I thought. Thinking about it a bit more I checked where the closest fuel station was, not good. So looked for fuel stations close to any pontoon. There were only 2 in Strangford Lough, Portaferry and Killyleagh, both downwind of me. Portaferry was a difficult one to enter as once committed there was no way out. So Killyleagh it had to be. Then as the tide turned, so the wind dropped to almost nothing. So considering another option, pick up a mooring and use the inflatable. Checked the outboard on the transom and realised it needed some oil being a 4 stroke. Now there was a new problem, where was the key to the padlock. I searched high and low, and still have not found the key. I obviously put is somewhere safe, so safe I cannot remember where.

So back to sailing to the pontoon. With binoculars I could see a motorboat alongside and just space for me at the end of the alongside pontoon. I needed the wind to push me on. The mainsail was dropped and tidied. Turning towards the pontoon meant coming from a run to a beam reach and yes, you guessed it, the wind increased slightly as well. Double reefed the genoa to slow me down. In the final approach I furled it away, but I slightly overshot. No, I did not hit him, but lay partially alongside. The owner then helped me move Concerto aft alongside the pontoon. He then left for his mooring.

Seeing some people outside the clubhouse I walked up the pontoon only to find a locked gate. A quick call brought a young lady to open the gate as I explained my problem. I joined the three ashore and started again. It seemed like I would have to wait until the morning when more members would be around. Then the man from the motorboat came ashore and volunteered to take me to the fuel station. In his boot he had two 22 litre cans. So off we go and I buy 41 litres of diesel. He then helped take the cans to my boat. After emptying the cans he refused anything for his service. So in the morning I will change the filters and bleed the engine. Once the engine is warm I will change the oil and oil filter, and complete a full service. I might even remove the heat exchanger and clean that as well.

Oh what fun boats are and how kind some people can be. I forgot to ask his name but I have taken a drone photo of his boat.

DJI_0158 Killyleagh 1000pix.jpg
This was the motorboat that helped me so much

DJI_0161 Killyleagh 1000pix.jpg
Killyleagh Yacht Club and town

DJI_0164 Killyleagh 1000pix.jpg
Safely moored alongside

RB Map 23.jpg

For anyone wanting to read the reports from the start, this is the link to first one.
Round Britian day 1

Concerto

Visit site
Today I have given the engine a full service. It was due, so I gave it the 750 hour service, so no time wasted. Running out of fuel made it theobvious thing to do. I found I in my engine spares, 7 fuel filters, 1 oil filter, 1 air filter, 4 sets of 'O' rings for the heat exchanger, 2 impellors, 4 sacrifial anodes, plus engine oil and anti-freeze. Replacement oil and air filters are now on the list of supplies for the boat.

Also found some tools that had suffered from some salt water. A small rivet gun was siezed solid, but I have a much better one on board anyway, so no loss. A very large shifting spanner that I forgot I had, was siezed but with some WD40 and a little effort it is now back in full working order. The chuck of a hand drill was slightly rusty and is now working again. This really needs the chuck to be taken apart but I do not carry a vice, so it will be taken home for internal cleaning of the jaws.

There has been some entertainment here as there have been youngsters learning to sail in dinghies. Some were beginners and others knew the basics. It was a shame there was very little wind and in the afternoon it poured. Those at school leaving age were the instructors in RIBS and used them very sensibly within the moorings. They all seemed to enjoy themselves, even those who tried capsizing.