RIP Larry Pardy

Poignard

Visit site
Yes, a sad end to a fulfilled life. I saw him and Mrs Pardey in one of their final interviews and it was obvious then that something was badly wrong with him.

Parkinson's disease is a cruel thing.

tramuntana

Visit site
It feels strange that this should be among the first threads I see on this forum after registering, having previously read multiple of their books. They've inspired me to make sailing a large part of my life and for that I'll always be thankful. RIP Larry.

AndrewB

Visit site
It's a lifetime ago since we were holed up with them in March 1973 on Parkstone YC pontoon during a bout of freezing cold weather. We were introduced through a mutual friend, Brian Cooke. I remember thinking Larry rather opinionated - but then, who wouldn't be, having recently crossed the Atlantic in his early 30's back then? Lin though, a bit of a dish. There's no doubt Larry proved an inspirational writer. My favourite quotation, which I've posted here before: "In a storm at sea, luck is heavily biased towards the sailor who has a plan".

P.S. to Tramuntana. Welcome aboard. Do hope you find this an interesting and informative place to visit.

Last edited: