Reversing Camera - Targa 40

jrudge

Visit site
My wife bought me a £500 raymarine camera for xmas. Lovely gift but the price was eye watering so we sent it back.

There was a message here ( darling wouldn't it be nice if you could see the back of the boat and stop shouting at me!)

So ... for £11.50 on Ebay I bought a car reversing camera.

On a Fairline Targa there is a panel in the back above the tender garage that has holed in it.

Removed the panel, and installed the camera. Ran a few wires around the place nice and neatly - took about 2 hours.

The result is great. It is reverse image so left is left and right is right AND even better it overlays the green orange red reversing bars ,and green (where it is in the pic) is the perfect distance from the quay.

Very pleased with £11.50, a few hours work and no visual change to the boat.

plotter.jpg

camera.jpg

Attachments

• photo-6.jpg
    photo-6.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 13

jfm

Visit site
My wife bought me a £500 raymarine camera for xmas. Lovely gift but the price was eye watering so we sent it back.

There was a message here ( darling wouldn't it be nice if you could see the back of the boat and stop shouting at me!)

On a Fairline Targa there is a panel in the back above the tender garage that has holed in it.

Removed the panel, and installed the camera. Ran a few wires around the place nice and neatly - took about 2 hours.

The result is great. It is reverse image so left is left and right is right AND even better it overlays the green orange red reversing bars ,and green (where it is in the pic) is the perfect distance from the quay.

View attachment 28935

View attachment 28934

Nice job. Is it claimed as waterprrof at that price? At £11.50 it wouldn't matter if it only lasted a year - you have the wiring in place and that was the hard part. And hopefully it will last several years. Very nice job

BTW you have same paserrelle as JtB has on his t40 :)

jrudge

Visit site
It is waterproof yes - meant for a car - and had i wanted to wait from china it would have cost about £4!

JTB told me where he got has paserrelle from so yup they do look similar! Always nice to know that someone else has drilled a great big hole in their deck before you!

U4

Visit site

View attachment 28935

View attachment 28934

That looks like a great idea. Was it easy to plug it into the plotter?

Andrew38

Visit site
This looks like a great solution. Does anyone know if you could connect the camera directly to the Raymarine SeaTalk (which is much closer to where I would mount the camera) rather than taking the wiring through to the chartplotter?

Last edited:

sap_2000

Visit site
New C series has a dedicated input, a BNC female connector.

Most of these cams comes with RCA connectors, so what you need is a RCA female to BNC male plug. Cost 1e on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/370767931228?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I bought a set of cams and connectors yesterday after reading this thread.. Great tip :)

For engine room
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130819927816?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
And for back up camera.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271091331834?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Last edited:

jrudge

Visit site
Link as promised

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Color-CMO...cessories_Safety_Security&hash=item53ef55fc34

Sea Talk is all about data and the video signal is just an analogue feed (2 wires power to the camera - 2 wires video). You can get transmitter / receiver pairs on ebay which would allow you to skip the wires all together but wires are not so tricky to run and are probably more reliable. The transmitter receiver bits are about £30 from memory - so even it they are not great you are £450 up on the Raymarine part!

jrudge

Visit site
New C series has a dedicated input, a BNC female connector.

Most of these cams comes with RCA connectors, so what you need is a RCA female to BNC male plug. Cost 1e on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/370767931228?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I bought a set of cams and connectors yesterday after reading this thread.. Great tip :)

For engine room
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130819927816?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
And for back up camera.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271091331834?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The other alternative ( which i felt more reliable given salt water) is to cut off the BNC and solder the wires.

bluetooth

Visit site

View attachment 28935

View attachment 28934

Hi
Just wondered how the reversing camera in the Targa 40 garage door worked out?
I am considering something similar in mine but struggling for best position (radar arch cable run is full).
Did the garage up/down lift affect the wiring ?
Where exactly did you have the wire entering the engine bay?
Any retrospective thoughts would be welcomed for installation
Many thanks

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
(radar arch cable run is full).

Are you absolutely sure about that? It's a fairly sizeable conduit. If the cables feel tight, you might find that it's not that the conduit is full, but that the cables have been fouled by an over-enthusiastic application of mastic behind the nav lights.

bluetooth

Visit site
Are you absolutely sure about that? It's a fairly sizeable conduit. If the cables feel tight, you might find that it's not that the conduit is full, but that the cables have been fouled by an over-enthusiastic application of mastic behind the nav lights.

Yeh - its got satellite cabling inside on top of usual !

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
Yeh - its got satellite cabling inside on top of usual !

Hmm. I've got cables for digital radar, all the usual nav lights, searchlight, horn, audio speakers, 2x aerial downleads, tv aerial and 2x spare coaxes in mine, and it's still not full. But - fair enough, you know your own boat.

To get wiring into the engine bay there's a big gland in the aft bulkhead, it's in the mid cabin above the removeable ceiling panel in front of the stbd porthole. Pull down on the two plastic tabs to remove the panel. Be careful as you take the panel out, it's a very tight fit and it's easy to damage the vinyl wall covering. From there you can also reach up to the gland that provides the route to the back of the helm.

Once you're through the bulkhead gland the wiring route is fairly self-explanatory, follow the grey trunking that runs down the stbd side of the engine compartment, across the back of the passerelle locker and from there you can figure out any way you like to get into the garage and to the underside of the door - and into your target location for the camera.

rlw

Visit site
Interesting! Did not think of that location. I have a mini flush mount one (ebay as well) in the port airscoop which shows the distance between the pontoon and the platform extensions.