Reading the thread about the Nautical Mile and its' variations

STATUE

Visit site
I asked my Daughter, born in Devon, after her 4th year in Wigan, 'Is there a North/South divide?'

'Yes' she said 'They talk to you up there ! '

cpedw

Visit site
When I worked in Faslane but we had our family home in a cottage in Devon, the local Devonians used to think Wigan was a long way away. I used to point out that when I drove to my house in Helensburgh, Wigan /Manchester was about half way!
I'm crossing my fingers that people who work with nuclear weapons are able to distinguish between , say, Manchester and Wigan.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
When I worked in Faslane but we had our family home in a cottage in Devon, the local Devonians used to think Wigan was a long way away. I used to point out that when I drove to my house in Helensburgh, Wigan /Manchester was about half way!
Some years ago I was at a meeting in Edinburgh for people from the across the organisation I work for. An attendee from Plymouth was impressed to hear that someone had come from even further than him. "Penzance?" he asked. "No", we told him. "Lerwick."

I'm crossing my fingers that people who work with nuclear weapons are able to distinguish between , say, Manchester and Wigan.

They don't need to. That's the point, really. A Minuteman (or Russian equivalent) on Astley will take out both quite effectively.

gqgERV2.png

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I just looked after the people who guarded them.
As far as my journeying N is concerned, as Wigan and Manchester are on very similar latitudes, my story makes perfect sense as far as I’m concerned.