Passage plans

mjcp

Visit site
Quick question, (No tidal atlas to hand)...

Does the back current from St Vaast to the point run in both directions or just north bound (as the tide runs south/South east)?

mjcp

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
Does the back current from St Vaast to the point run in both directions or just north bound (as the tide runs south/South east)
Never noticed much of a back eddy off St. Vaast. If bound South I leave as soon as the gate opens and that gives me 2 or 3 hours of fair tide to get to Carentan or Grandcamp on the same tide. If bound North or West leave about 2 or 3 hours after the gate opens and you will have fair tide round Barfleaur and all the way to Cherbourg.

Talbot

Visit site
Yes, and Rick seems to think the cat wont fit...

Is that - won't fit in St Vaast, or cherbourg?

Still waiting for a wonderful passport organisation to send me a replacement passport, otherwise I wont be there - supposed to be in Naples the week before as well - heyho late flight and hotel bookings again (hopefully)

Talbot

Visit site
St Vaast I think - the tidal gate at the entrance is quite narrow.

I've been told that Rick's cat is massive but I still reckon it will squeeze through the entrance to the petit rade :)

If I recall correctly he is about 5ft longer and maybe 1ft wider than mine

fireball

Visit site
Departure point will be from the Solent now ...

If going from Chi then it will be a 0630(ish) run out to get the flow down the back of the island ...

If the wind looks like South of SW then we may run up to the other end to get a better attack ...

Martin_J

Visit site
Galadriel
After rather a busy time at work.. thinking of adding Jubilant to the list of boats.. Did you ever hear from any others who are planning on going to St Vaast on the Friday? It sounds like a good option to me then on to Cherbourg on the Saturday morning... Catch up with you in the week..
Rgds Martin.

Babylon

Visit site
Passage Plans from Hamble - provisional

Plan A (all times BST, will motor if need be to maintain 5kts)

Thur eve: Towards Keyhaven/Yarmouth

Fri am: Towards Cherbourg (dept on first of ebb at 0700BST, 65NM, 5kts, 13hrs, ETA 2000BST)

Sun am: Towards Hamble (HW Portsmouth 2230, Needles floods till 2100 80NM total, 5kts, 16hrs: dept 0500, ETA Hamble 2100. If delayed and can't carry last of flood up Western Solent, will return via Bembridge Ledge.)

Plan B (if wrong weather)

Weymouth or even just Poole.

Plan C (if pear really is the shape)

The Royal Oak public house.

Sans Bateau

Visit site
Oh good. We'll have a shore party to book the resto, take our lines, etc.

Table for three by the window, please.

No problem, and what time would sir like to eat? I'll have an operative stationed on the pontoons to take your lines. Please be listening on Ch69 (going down) for berthing instructions.