NHS - this may be of interest

nortada

Visit site
Different rules depending on whether one is merely having an extended holiday or taking up residence elsewhere.

Attitudes vary from one GP practice to the next. Our normal prescriptions (NHS Wales) are for 3 months supply but GP will double up if we ask, regardless of guidelines. Others in different areas report they can only obtain one months supply as standard.

Our GP isn't in the least worried we spend roughly equal times at home and away but we know a couple who've been crossed off their practice list when they've been away for extended period. As far as I'm concerned, I've paid into the UK system all my life and intend to get my money's worth :)

You could argue that by absenting yourself for a while, you are benefitting your surgery. Whilst you are away you will cause them no work but they still benefit from the money paid for you being on their list.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
You could argue that by absenting yourself for a while, you are benefitting your surgery. Whilst you are away you will cause them no work but they still benefit from the money paid for you being on their list.

Technically, many of us are bending or breaking the rules. My attitude rightly or wrongly is that I have been a UK tax payer for 60 years, along with NHS payments, still have a house there, pay council tax etc. and will say (or not say) what I need to, to remain in the system. You and I have the benefit of free medical treatment in our other country of residence at no cost to the UK so, as you say, that is surely a benefit to NHS, not a reason to be struck off.

billskip

Visit site
I mean what I say, ‘come back from abroad’. Their circumstances will vary dramatically so I use the only common statement.
Well I think there is a big difference in "coming back from abroad " from a day trip on the channel ferry,two weeks holiday and obtaining residency and living in another country. The latter I think is a different set of laws, so its difficult to group it all under one umbrella.

billskip

Visit site
Technically, many of us are bending or breaking the rules. My attitude rightly or wrongly is that I have been a UK tax payer for 60 years, along with NHS payments, still have a house there, pay council tax etc. and will say (or not say) what I need to, to remain in the system. You and I have the benefit of free medical treatment in our other country of residence at no cost to the UK so, as you say, that is surely a benefit to NHS, not a reason to be struck off.
Actually being "struck off" is only likely under certain circumstances.

The trouble with all this is the spin that is put on as a frightener by the press being alarmist.

PlanB

Visit site
Sounds reasonable but the people we are discussing are UK residents who have come back from abroad so should already be registered with a GP. Conversely they could visit a NHS walk-in centre.
I was a UK resident moving from another part of the UK!