NHS - this may be of interest

Jegs

Visit site
From the D Tel. The final paragraph may be of particular interest!

Thousands of Britons moving abroad will lose their rights to healthcare coverage when they visit the UK and must pay to use NHS services.
Anyone who has moved to the European Union after the Brexit cut-off date of Dec 31 2020 will face an “administrative nightmare” as they will be stripped of certain NHS entitlements.
About 460,000 British pensioners, the most common NHS users, already live in the EU, plus hundreds of thousands more people of working age.
But new expats could face large NHS bills when returning home if they require healthcare, as they will no longer be covered by the British state.
Those visiting the UK will be charged 150pc of the cost of NHS treatment, even if they are British nationals. The NHS operates using residence-based qualification, which means anyone living in Britain and officially a resident is covered.
Britons abroad no longer qualify. Even those still paying tax in the UK, or who own a property, do not count as “residents”, Chetal Patel, of law firm Bates Well, warned. She said: “That’s a common misconception, and people may not realise the repercussions.

Source :Britons moving to the EU lose NHS coverage post Brexit

ATB,
John G

nortada

Visit site
State pension warning as Brexit means some Britons face NHS charges

This has nothing to do with Brexit as it has always been the case that only British ordinary residents qualify for free NHS care.

Policy for assessing ordinary residency is at:- https://assets.publishing.service.g...licy-assessing-ordinary-residence-v2.0EXT.pdf.

It is possible to hold residency in more than one country at the same time.

As there is a thread already running on this subject, possibly the Mods will combine them?

Last edited:

Jegs

Visit site
My apologies, the road to hell is paved.......................................

ATB,
John G

nortada

Visit site
My apologies, the road to hell is paved.......................................

ATB,
John G

No sweat, your article in the Telegraph is better written.

Unfortunately, it is behind a paywall.

Both articles are scare-mongering. Possible to encourage people to take legal advice - at a price.

Lot of it around post Brexit.

shan

Visit site
An EHIC card should allow one to access NHS healthcare:

Healthcare for visitors to the UK from the EU

"If you are visiting the UK from an EU country and you fall ill or have a medical emergency during your temporary stay in England, you can use a valid EHICissued by your home country to access healthcare.

Your EHIC also covers you for the treatment of pre-existing medical conditions and for routine maternity care, providing the reason for your visit is not specifically to give birth or receive treatment."

Mister E

Visit site
An EHIC card should allow one to access NHS healthcare:

Healthcare for visitors to the UK from the EU

"If you are visiting the UK from an EU country and you fall ill or have a medical emergency during your temporary stay in England, you can use a valid EHICissued by your home country to access healthcare.

Your EHIC also covers you for the treatment of pre-existing medical conditions and for routine maternity care, providing the reason for your visit is not specifically to give birth or receive treatment."

Is the UK carrying on with the EHIC for foreign residents?

Bouba

Visit site
What about those coming home to die?

st599

Visit site
Is the UK carrying on with the EHIC for foreign residents?
The UK is continuing to issue European HIC to EU nationals resident in the UK. British nationals get the new Global HIC. The Global one is valid in fewer countries than the European one.

Bouba

Visit site
So, for clarification. The original article in the OP’s post talks about those who leave after the Brexit cut off. What of those who have already left?

shan

Visit site
I didn't read the original article but nothing much has actually changed pre or post Brexit in terms of what you can expect from healthcare - if you are resident in the EU, you can use an EHIC card in the UK (under the conditions mentioned), so, not any different at present. This might of course change but only time will tell.

nortada

Visit site
So far as I know there are only 2 legal statuses for Brits in the EU; The visitor, who will leave after a maximum of 93 days and residents, who will have unlimited stay in their host country.

The visitor will continue to be an ordinary UK resident so enjoy free NHS care on return to the UK. Whilst in the EU, provided they have a current G/EHIC card, the will be entitled to free emergency medical care on the same terms and to the same standard, enjoyed by residents in that country.

British residents in an EU country will be entitled to full free healthcare in their country of residency and they can get an EHIC from that country that will entitle them to free emergency healthcare in all EU countries and free NHS care in the UK.

Some EU countries have bilateral treaties with the UK, permitting dual residency. In this situation a UK citizen, resident in the EU, can retain UK ordinary residency. All Brits, with UK ordinary residency are entitled to free NHS care.

Of particular interest to many in the YBW forums, there is the UK based S1 system (which I understand applies world-wide, although there are some limits on costs incurred in the US), whereby Brits, who are in receipt of a UK pension, can get free health cover that is charged back to the UK.

All if this pre-dates Brexit, which changed nothing, other than post-Brexit is is not so easy for Brits to get residency in the EU.

My opinion is that the current spate of articles in the U.K. press are to drum-up trade for the legal and health insurance industries, using Brexit as a catalyst.

It also fills copy on an otherwise quiet day,

Last edited:

ean_p

Visit site
So far as I know there are only 2 legal statuses for Brits in the EU; The visitor, who will leave after a maximum of 93 days and residents, who will have unlimited stay in their host country.

The visitor will continue to be an ordinary UK resident so enjoy free NHS care on return to the UK. Whilst in the EU, provided they have a current G/EHIC card, the will be entitled to free emergency medical care on the same terms and to the same standard, enjoyed by residents in that country.

British residents in an EU country will be entitled to full free healthcare in their country of residency and they can get an EHIC from that country that will entitle them to free emergency healthcare in all EU countries and free NHS care in the UK.

Some EU countries have bilateral treaties with the UK, permitting dual residency. In this situation a UK citizen, resident in the EU, can retain UK ordinary residency. All Brits, with UK ordinary residency are entitled to free NHS care.

Of particular interest to many in the YBW forums, there is the UK based S1 system (which I understand applies world-wide, although there are some limits on costs incurred in the US), whereby Brits, who are in receipt of a UK pension, can get free health cover that is charged back to the UK.

All if this pre-dates Brexit, which changed nothing, other than post-Brexit is is not so easy for Brits to get residency in the EU.

My opinion is that the current spate of articles in the U.K. press are to drum-up trade for the legal and health insurance industries, using Brexit as a catalyst.

It also fills copy on an otherwise quiet day,

Can we drill down into this a little please N. Which treaties are these and with which countries please?

nortada

Visit site
Can we drill down into this a little please N. Which treaties are these and with which countries please?
Some EU countries have bilateral treaties with the UK, permitting dual residency. In this situation a UK citizen, resident in the EU, can retain UK ordinary residency.

Sorry, don't understand what you want to drill down into?

I have just stated my understanding of the current situation, borne of personal experience. I am a UK citizen, with ordinary residence in the UK, who also has residency in Portugal.

If you want further information, Google could be your friend.

Last edited:

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site

I'm not so sure about free healthcare everywhere. Some countries require anyone taking up residence to have private healthcare and I hear others require contributions or part payment for treatment. Unlike Portugal, not all allow us into the health system free of charge.

nortada

Visit site
I'm not so sure about free healthcare everywhere. Some countries require anyone taking up residence to have private healthcare and I hear others require contributions or part payment for treatment. Unlike Portugal, not all allow us into the health system free of charge.
As you will appreciate, my response was based on my experience.

There are so many variations on the central theme, possibly amore practical approach is to make discussions country specific.

ean_p

Visit site
Some EU countries have bilateral treaties with the UK, permitting dual residency. In this situation a UK citizen, resident in the EU, can retain UK ordinary residency.

Sorry, don't understand what you want to drill down into?

I have just stated my understanding of the current situation, borne of personal experience. I am a UK citizen, with ordinary residence in the UK, who also has residency in Portugal.

If you want further information, Google could be your friend.
Quite but having tried Google and received no joy, I'd like to know which are the treaties and which are the countries mentioned in your statement please?

nortada

Visit site
Quite but having tried Google and received no joy, I'd like to know which are the treaties and which are the countries mentioned in your statement please?
Funny, I Googled ‘countries that allow dual residency/citizenship’ and got a shed load of links - didn’t go any further.

As stated in my message, my experience is related to UK/Portugal and because, we have a family house in Spain, UK/Spain.

Over to you and as always, will be interested to see what you uncover.

Last edited: