Newbie too the Thames

Dylan lane

Visit site
Hi all new here please be gentle
A little confused about boat reg and launch
I use my dingy on the canals in wiltshire and have the right license for that
I just want too use my dingy on the caversham section when I visit my daughter and thought I could just buy a day or week license but I keep finding launch prices getting confused what I need too pay for I've got insurance please help
Thx Dylan

Old Crusty

Visit site
In normal times, you can turn up at a lock such as Caversham and buy a visitor day or week registration for powered or unpowered craft from the duty lock keeper.

Currently, no lock keepers are on duty for assisted passage through locks so buying a visitor licence there is not an option.

You can buy one from the boat registration team then print it off just in case a passing patrol boat checks you have one.

Environment Agency boat registration team
PO Box 544
Rotherham
S60 1BY
Emailboatreg@environment-agency.gov.uk
Telephone03708 506 506
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

Old Crusty

Visit site
I should add that 'launch' is just the generic term for boat. Also, you don't mention if you row your dinghy or have an outboard.

Let me know and I can advise further.

Dylan lane

Visit site
I should add that 'launch' is just the generic term for boat. Also, you don't mention if you row your dinghy or have an outboard.

Let me know and I can advise further.

Hi thanks for reply I have a small outboard 5hp
I only go on canals and rivers in wiltshire
I mainly take photos along the way any info will be greatly appreciated thanks
Dylan

Time Out

Visit site
In normal times, you can turn up at a lock such as Caversham and buy a visitor day or week registration for powered or unpowered craft from the duty lock keeper.

Currently, no lock keepers are on duty for assisted passage through locks so buying a visitor licence there is not an option.

You can buy one from the boat registration team then print it off just in case a passing patrol boat checks you have one.

Environment Agency boat registration team
PO Box 544
Rotherham
S60 1BY
Emailboatreg@environment-agency.gov.uk
Telephone03708 506 506
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

I am planning a trip on Sat out of Penton and called them for a day licence based not the fact I may not get one and cant face any agro. The lady was VERY helpful, friendly, told me about her holiday and I had one emailed over, printed off and ready for the boat in less than 30 mins. prob quicker than in a busy lock!!

Dylan lane

Visit site
I am planning a trip on Sat out of Penton and called them for a day licence based not the fact I may not get one and cant face any agro. The lady was VERY helpful, friendly, told me about her holiday and I had one emailed over, printed off and ready for the boat in less than 30 mins. prob quicker than in a busy lock!!

Hi
Thanks for the information is there any where I can get prices for the license and any other costs
I'll be using a 335cm long and 152cm wide dingy
With 5 hp outboard
Thx Dylan

Old Crusty

Visit site
For a boat with area (length x beam) up to 10 square metres, a 1 day license is £12.80, for a 7 day licence it's £14.00 this year.

Dylan lane

Visit site
Hi
Thanks for all your help and info looking forward
Too when it opens officially I was so jealous of the others I saw this week at caversham
Dylan

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Of course I should not really have used the word license here it's a bit lazy.

I meant registration plates.

It's not possible to license the use of a PRN waterway like the Thames because the Public Right of Navigation already exists
but it is possible to enforce registration requirements .

I like it when the lady on the phone says "I will send your plates out by second class post". I expect something I can eat my dinner off not just a piece of paper!

Dylan lane

Visit site
For reference a years license is £20.71 per square metre minimum 5 sq metres. For powered non electric vessel.

So that's just over £100 so equivalent to 7 weekly licenses or 8 day license.

Might be worth it if you were using it a lot.

Thanks that great I'll get that next year
So much cheaper than canals I paid 70 for 3 months
Cant wait thx for all the help and Info
Dylan

Dylan lane

Visit site
Of course I should not really have used the word license here it's a bit lazy.

I meant registration plates.

It's not possible to license the use of a PRN waterway like the Thames because the Public Right of Navigation already exists
but it is possible to enforce registration requirements .

I like it when the lady on the phone says "I will send your plates out by second class post". I expect something I can eat my dinner off not just a piece of paper!

Yeah same when I did the canals but mine was a bit fancier I had 2 stickers

mlines

www.sportsboat.org.uk
Just phone the EA and do it over the phone. The published number goes to the Call Centre team who are all working from home, therefore they do not have access to the payment system. They tell you to call another number which is probably some poor soul made to go into the office. Looking at my scribbled notes from Friday , that number seems to be 0330 159 1983

Time Out

Visit site
Just phone the EA and do it over the phone. The published number goes to the Call Centre team who are all working from home, therefore they do not have access to the payment system. They tell you to call another number which is probably some poor soul made to go into the office. Looking at my scribbled notes from Friday , that number seems to be 0330 159 1983

For a daily it weekly ? I purchased a daily to use yesterday on Thursday.

It took less than 10 mins over the phone (with payment) and they emailed me a pdf within 30
Mins.

Yes it was a lady working from home we also had a good natter about her holiday !

Dylan lane

Visit site
3d
For a daily it weekly ? I purchased a daily to use yesterday on Thursday.

It took less than 10 mins over the phone (with payment) and they emailed me a pdf within 30
Mins.

Yes it was a lady working from home we also had a good natter about her holiday !

Hi
So it looks like the river is open? Hope so looks like I should ring for mine cheers
Dylan