Nespresso Machine from 12 Volt

Fendant

Visit site
I am planning to install a inverter 12/220 Volt to power my latest gen Nespresso machine while being underway.
I have measured a peak load of 1300 Watts for a short time.
Talking to inverter sales people they recommend a pure Sinus 2000 Watt unit ( £££££'s ).

Do I really need a pure Sinus Inverter? What do I really Need ?
Can I run the Nespresso machine on a Inverter of 1000 Watts continuous/ 1600 Watt Peak ?

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
I imagine that the main part of the coffee maker is just a water heater and that should be fine with a mod. sine wave (i.e. square) inverter. However, the control electronics might object. I've heard of several people fritzing a particular electric toothbrush model by charging with a cheap inverter. To be honest, many people complain about the toothbrush dying on mains power but inverters do seem to cause more problems.

I run TV, laptops, misc. chargers and other toothbrushes from a mod. sine wave inverter. Never had any problems so I'd say the odds are in your favour (but it would still be a gamble).

Perhaps you'll get a better answer from someone who had more knowledge of the Nespresso.

mcframe

Visit site
I am planning to install a inverter 12/220 Volt to power my latest gen Nespresso machine while being underway.
I have measured a peak load of 1300 Watts for a short time.
Talking to inverter sales people they recommend a pure Sinus 2000 Watt unit ( £££££'s ).

Do I really need a pure Sinus Inverter? What do I really Need ?

An Aeropress.

No
Volts (& hence amps & watts)
Required.

yachtorion

Visit site
To answer your direct question. You could *probably* run it off any sufficiently powerful inverter but it may behave oddly if the microcontroller isn't getting a clean voltage. You may fry the control board and write the machine off. This might happen the first time, or any time, or never. A lot would depend on the quality of the PSU built into the Nespresso machine I suppose. The problem is the only way you're really going to find out is to try it. A good inverter would be better. Out of curiosity, if using a Nespresso machine underway, how do you plan to keep it in position? Could make an excellent intra-cabin missile. Or stop it getting covered in the contents of it's own water tank as the boat heals? Or is this for at anchor use only?2

I'm a rabid coffee lover... and I have some knowledge in the area...I've had multiple nespresso machines, bean to cup machines, manual espresso machines, mokka pots, filter pots, caffetierres, cona siphon maker, perc, you name it. I've tried 50+ different single origin coffees and since the last couple of months I automatically get a bag of a random fresh roast coffee every week (PACT).

Trust me. You will get better on board espresso-like coffee and just as easily without the hassle of an inverter with the Aeropress as suggested (but get a reusable stainless filter, amazon have them). Feed it fresh roast and recently ground beans and the result will beat Nespresso. Keep ground coffee in something like a Kilner jar but not in the fridge.

If you mainly drink Americanos, then you'll probably do better with a high quality paperless stainless/gold filter system, such as http://www.amazon.co.uk/SwissGold-C...30806850&sr=8-3&keywords=coffee+filter+system

The paperless bit is important.

To show my money is where my mouth is... I'm going on a chartered 37 footer this weekend straight from work, team building thing. I work away during the week. In the sailing kit bag behind me on the train is a pot of fresh ground coffee and an aeropress, with stainless filter. Right next to the all important bottle if Highland Park.

The popularity of Nespresso interests me. I've got to admit that most of the time it produces a decent cup of coffee. Never amazing, usually very reasonable, very rarely awful unless you count the occassional capsule that just obviously wasn't right somehow, say 1 in 10. I did try third party capsules. They were uniformly terrible. Refillable capsules never worked properly. I've heard that quite high end restaurants use Nespresso for no other reason than it's a simple way to produce a reasonable coffee to go with a meal that is easy, consistent and doesn't take up much space. But the thing is... when you can get one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLonghi-Ma...&qid=1430808498&sr=8-4&keywords=delonghi+ecam at that price... well it won't take long for it to pay for itself over the capsule machine. The output will be less consistent but often excellent. And if you run out of coffee you can just grab a temporary bag of beans from the nearest Starbucks.

The DeLonghi machines are excellent. I love my one at home enough that I nagged work into buying one for the office. Fantastic coffee.

Last edited:

Fendant

Visit site
The machine will be on a pull out tray in one of the lockers.
Hanse and several other yards are offering this as an extra.
The advantage is that the coffee is always fresh and of consistent quality, even if you leave it onboard over the winter.
We are also using this System at home.

mcframe

Visit site
I'm going on a chartered 37 footer this weekend straight from work, team building thing. I work away during the week. In the sailing kit bag behind me on the train is a pot of fresh ground coffee and an aeropress, with stainless filter. Right next to the all important bottle if Highland Park.

Excellent!

All you need is the sewing kit for whipping & sail repair, and the spanner for fixing heads/engines, and you can be sure of being invited back onboard ;-)

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
If instant was the only coffee available I wouldnt drink it.
I agree, totally different (and horrid) beverage. I remember a coffee plant in Kew with the species label explaining that it's bean was a poor quality fruit but used for instant coffee as it's flavour was least modified in the necessary freeze-drying process. Says it all really.

But I remember when I lived in the UK - a lifetime ago, I admit - instant coffee was all that the average household had for coffee. After I left and visiting I would only order tea for many years, which I usually never drink.

The present craze for capsule coffee is amazing to me when there are so many alternative ways for good coffee without the waste problem. Laziness I presume, everything has to be easy-clean. Or perhaps I'm angry I didn't load up with Neslé shares.

Edit:
I travel regularly by rail to Lausanne and by Romont pass a vast factory under construction scheduled for opening later this year, Neslé Nespresso - no future for the planet drowning in used capsule rubbish.

Last edited:

Alfie168

Visit site
No votes for "Mellow Birds" then......hideous stuff. My only question about Nespresso is.....have you got room for the George Clooney poster the females might demand? Serious stuff indeed.

Tim

JohnGC

Visit site
................. the Aeropress as suggested (but get a reusable stainless filter, amazon have them). ..........

I've been rather underwhelmed by my Aeropress when used with the disposable filters. Does the stainless filter make a significant difference?

yachtorion

Visit site
I've been rather underwhelmed by my Aeropress when used with the disposable filters. Does the stainless filter make a significant difference?

Yes to my palette but YMMV. Paper tends to absorb too much of the coffee's flavour carrying colloids apparently. Tastes noticeably less "thin" to me using a metal filter. I never use paper filters with coffee anymore. Just seems to kill it.

Last edited: