mudhook at fairlie

matthew99

Visit site
i've just returned from largs to check on our boat. Working right through the day I promised myself an early beer only to find the mudhook at fairlie closed and boarded up.

Do any of the readers know if the mudhook is to remain closed for some time and also are they able to recommend any alternative boozers in the largs area

many thanks,

matthew

Gordonmc

Visit site
I had the same experience a couple of weeks ago. The place looks pretty well deserted. I have an acquaintance who is a member of the Mudhook YC... maybe he can shed light.
Meantime the only places in Largs I can think of for a decent beer are Charlie Smiths, over the road from the ferry terminal, and McAulays opposite the railway station

Bodach na mara

Visit site
Funny you should say that, I was wondering if it had got any better. I last tried to visit it years ago, looking for a pub lunch and found it open, but unwelcoming. I tried again a few years later and it was closed. Now I come to think on it, I seldom drink around the Largs area apart from Regatta's (or whatever they call it now) at the marina.

You don't say which way you were travelling Mathew. I know of a few reasonable pubs in Greenock and a couple in Lochwinnoch, but can't remember another in Fairlie apart from the Mudhook.

matthew99

Visit site
Thanks for that - usually we'd be staying at Largs and would walk along the shore arriving ready for a beer. For the last couple of years, the food was decent with Deuchars IPA at the bar.

Perhaps it has to be Largs, although Lochwinoch might be possible if we're staying overnight in Glasgow.

I hope it re-opens soon.

Cheers,

Matthew

Other threads that may be of interest