Med boaters - will you get to your boat this year?

jfm

Visit site
Wuss ! What weather ? Get out there man :)

Dunno what make of boat that was but it was well out of its depth as regards seakeeping. It was too light and flimsy to take the head sea so by 22seconds the skipper had turned 90degrees left to get the waves onto the beam. It then rolled like a wet sick pig (37 seconds) and by 55 seconds it had dropped to displacement ish speed. Then at 1:25 it had turned its stern to the sea and was heading home. Nice try by an adventurous crew but the boat couldn't handle that sort of sea if you want to do more than a 15minute spin around the bay - you need more weight, a roof and fin stabilisers, in those conditions imho.

• Haha
Reactions: vas

MapisM

Visit site
100% agreed.
In fact, this video is an excellent proof of what I've always said, i.e. that there's no such thing as an open boat capable of bashing serious waves, let alone doing that in comfort.
The problem is, these boats are great as long as sea conditions allow them to cruise at 30+ kts, but as soon as the sea gets even just slightly worse, the cruise can become a nightmare in a heartbeat.
And it doesn't matter one iota how good the boat and how deep her hull deadrise: Magnum, Baia, Itama... pick your poison, the reasoning always stands.
Even the worse flybridge will always be better, if nothing else because, also leaving stabs aside, it is much better to be bounced around at one digit speed and remain dry, rather than enduring the same treatment (if not even worse, since deep vee hulls roll like pigs at D speed) coupled with a constant salt water shower! :sick:
Oh, and for the records, that's a 30+ years old Itama 54, shafts+MTU V12 powered, Amati built and widely regarded as one of the best in her segment.

jfm

Visit site
Ah thanks. Itama 54 with shafts/MTU is indeed a very beautiful thing on a calm day. No use for the weather in that video, but the crew probably had a few minutes of fun, and hopefully some crew to clean up afterwards :cool:

MapisM

Visit site
Indeed. Interestingly, I think that the helmsman is to be blamed, more than the boat.
In fact, around 0:45 the view is large enough to understand that the boat is leaving Capri and heading N towards Naples.
The wind seems to be blowing from N/NE, so the conditions were easily visible right from the harbour wall, which shelters exactly the N part of the marina.

Now, Naples is at 15+ Nm, so maybe the helmsman was hoping that after an initial bumpy ride the waves were going to calm down, as the fetch was progressively reduced getting closer to Naples.
After all, he's used to make that trip in half an hour with that boat, as he possibly did also the very same day, just the other way round, hence with a following sea - so, what could possibly go wrong?
And that was his BIG mistake, 'cause he should have known that neither the boat nor the crew could handle the return trip.

Bottom line, the myth of fast and smooth rides in rough seas is something that most owners of boats like this love to talk about, at the dock.
But as a matter of fact, it's just that: a myth, as the video clearly shows.

Bouba

Visit site
We caught a break in the weather and are now heading home slowly, hoping to get there by 10 am..when the wind should be 2mph..the best time to practice single handed mooring (my left shoulder still can’t move).
Med mooring is usually easiest for tying up when there is a boat either side. I am the last boat on the quay (my favourite spot) and I don’t have a neighbor…so any cross wind will be tricky with only one hand on the slime line.
Grey old morning but the sea is behaving herself

Portofino

Visit site
Been to Miramar once in the Porto 35 mid August stinking full Med heat wave 40 degrees in Paris .French gov renting refrigerated trailers to store the dead old folks dropping off the peg ….that kinda summer .

It only had a 170 L water tank and the previous berth in Porquerolles had intermittent water so couldn’t really top up due a shortage and greedy Fr yachties abusing the 1 hr a day I’d was supposed to be switched on .

Anyhow popped across to Miramar and tied up by the fuel pontoon see pic number 1 ^ and proceeded to fill up with diesel .
Saw a hose coiled up with a dripping faucet .Asked ( takes 1/2 hr to fill up ) if I could top my water tank .
Was told on no uncertain terms NO !
OK .
While we were filling up with fuel a Fr guy rolled up in his car chatting with the marina staff proceeded to wash his car ….quite liberally wasting a lot of water and then left the hose running while leathering it off .
Water shortage my arse !

I wonder if we were French if we would have been treated differently?
They tolerate Brits but there was an undercurrent I felt often .

Any how we went W round the Geins ( Sp ? ) peninsula to another marina ( the one with Paul Ricards island off the entrance ) got a berth with full facilities Using the VHF .Bandol if I recall correctly?

Turns out the Capitainerie was 1/2 Canadian born in Canada and just a normal bloke no Brit hatred interbred in his DNA . :) .
Very welcoming the place was full but a 20 M boat was in the yard so he let us have that berth and charged a 12 M rate even promptly sending a sparky round to adapt the shore power down to 16 A from 64 A .

Nothing was too much trouble .

We did see empty berths in Miramar and asked going into the office while refuelling , but just got a gaelic shrug of the shoulders …..while water poured out the hose on to the floor from the mate washing his car ! There was supposed to be hose pipe ban .

Bouba

Visit site
Been to Miramar once in the Porto 35 mid August stinking full Med heat wave 40 degrees in Paris .French gov renting refrigerated trailers to store the dead old folks dropping off the peg ….that kinda summer .

It only had a 170 L water tank and the previous berth in Porquerolles had intermittent water so couldn’t really top up due a shortage and greedy Fr yachties abusing the 1 hr a day I’d was supposed to be switched on .

Anyhow popped across to Miramar and tied up by the fuel pontoon see pic number 1 ^ and proceeded to fill up with diesel .
Saw a hose coiled up with a dripping faucet .Asked ( takes 1/2 hr to fill up ) if I could top my water tank .
Was told on no uncertain terms NO !
OK .
While we were filling up with fuel a Fr guy rolled up in his car chatting with the marina staff proceeded to wash his car ….quite liberally wasting a lot of water and then left the hose running while leathering it off .
Water shortage my arse !

I wonder if we were French if we would have been treated differently?
They tolerate Brits but there was an undercurrent I felt often .

Any how we went W round the Geins ( Sp ? ) peninsula to another marina ( the one with Paul Ricards island off the entrance ) got a berth with full facilities Using the VHF .Bandol if I recall correctly?

Turns out the Capitainerie was 1/2 Canadian born in Canada and just a normal bloke no Brit hatred interbred in his DNA . :) .
Very welcoming the place was full but a 20 M boat was in the yard so he let us have that berth and charged a 12 M rate even promptly sending a sparky round to adapt the shore power down to 16 A from 64 A .

Nothing was too much trouble .

We did see empty berths in Miramar and asked going into the office while refuelling , but just got a gaelic shrug of the shoulders …..while water poured out the hose on to the floor from the mate washing his car ! There was supposed to be hose pipe ban .
There aren’t many visitor berths in the port of Miramar....empty places are probably boater’s out for the day. Also the port is restricted by its small size...they did us a favor and let our friends visit with their fifty foot boat...but it was a squeeze. There are many downsides to being a Brit in France but I never felt any animosity at the Capitainerie ...water restrictions are very common there...and leaky pipes in ports in this region are common but obviously any employee and official vehicle gets priority but that’s everywhere (and only official vehicles can drive to the fuel dock).... All in all it’s a good port... in fact it nearly always has the cheapest fuel.