• REMINDER - COVID-19

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as YBW, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health and liberty is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Users who are found to promulgate FAKE NEWS on the forum in regard to this issue, intentional or otherwise, may find their access terminated. It is your responsibility to provide references to bona fide sources.

FAKE NEWS, in this regard, is that which is posited by organisations, media, etc., that is repeated on the forum, or used to support personal opinion/hypothesis posted by users - FAKE NEWS is not necessarily the personal opinion/hypothesis being posted in itself, any issues with such should be challenged respectfully.

IN ADDITION it seems that conspiracy theories are finding their way onto the forum. This is not the place for such content. Users who post it may find their access limited or permanently suspended. Please leave it where you find it.

Matsutec HP-33A AIS Transponder

JumbleDuck

I so do not want to sound dumb but I have just received my unit and I can not for the life of me work out how to access the SD card port. I can see hex bolts but do not think I should I be undoing them. Any help please.
The ... what? My old one certainly doesn't have an SD card port. I'll have a good look at the new one later.

pvb

I have contacted the manufacturer and they have clearly stated that it does but im afraid NOT clearly told me how to access the slot. If it transpires they have have misled me I will be onto Paypal and get my money back.
Good luck with getting a refund. Did the listing you bought the item from clearly say it had an SD card slot for cartography?

JumbleDuck

Good luck with getting a refund. Did the listing you bought the item from clearly say it had an SD card slot for cartography?
I have never seen any advertisement for the HP-33A which suggested that it has cartography.

Leon Jennings

Confusion over.

Manufacturer was confused, he has now admitted he made a mistake I am negotiating with him now. Thanks for the quick responses.

superheat6k

Has anyone experience with the Matsutec connected to a Furuno GP-7000 plotter? Got the ais overlay working?
Have you connected the NMEA0183 Out from the Matsutec to the In on the Furuno correctly and set the port speed on the Furuno to high or 38000 baud ?

jbees

Trying to connect my Matsutec hp-33A to my Garmin GPSMAP 750 without success so far. I've checked all the obvious things...output set to AIS, input of gpsmap set to high speed, output of gps map not connected (so only one talker), ground of AIS bonded to -ve of gpsmap but nothing received. I disconnected the gpsmap and checked the output of the Matsutec and got the predicted voltage pulse between pin 3 green SD and pin 5 brown SG BUT pin 3 was -ve relative to pin 5!! I've checked and double checked but that is the way it is. Is it a faulty unit or could i just swap the connections round next time i'm aboard?

cegri

Hello,
The links to the flush mounting instructions in post #144 are not working. Any idea where I can find them?

superheat6k

Trying to connect my Matsutec hp-33A to my Garmin GPSMAP 750 without success so far. I've checked all the obvious things...output set to AIS, input of gpsmap set to high speed, output of gps map not connected (so only one talker), ground of AIS bonded to -ve of gpsmap but nothing received. I disconnected the gpsmap and checked the output of the Matsutec and got the predicted voltage pulse between pin 3 green SD and pin 5 brown SG BUT pin 3 was -ve relative to pin 5!! I've checked and double checked but that is the way it is. Is it a faulty unit or could i just swap the connections round next time i'm aboard?
The manual says Pin 3 SD is RX (Receive) and Pin 4 RD is TX (Transmit). However, I would expect the pulse to be Positive relative to the Gnd at Pin 5 SG.

Have you checked Pin 5 continuity to the -VE connection ? If this is correct then I would not reverse the connections.

But if Pin 3 has continuity to -VE then possibly an error in the wiring of the unit.

Bi111ion

Just as a general debugging tip if you have a USB to serial converter and a PC you can see which NMEA sentences your HP33A is putting out. If you are not happy viewing the output of a serial port another way there is a handy debug screen in OpenCPN that displays all the NMEA sentences. I say this as some devices only like certain NMEA sentences.