Masthead spinnaker

ip485

Visit site
Selden mast, roller furling masthead foresail .. ..

And there are two spinnaker halyards one each side of the furling headsail.

So whats the best way to arrange the masthead so far as the spinnaker halyards are concerned? At the moment with an asymetric the wear on the halyard is really bad if the asymetric is set say to starboard with the port halyard, and still reasonably bad if set starboard to starboard or port to port.

With the intenion to add a proper spinnaker how can chaffing at the masterhead be resolved / and or improved as well with the asy as it is a pain dropping it for every gybe to change halyards.

Thank you

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
Surely spinnaker halyards should be on a crane positioned above and forward of the forestay/roller reefing? Mine is and doesn't suffer from any chafe. Perhaps you need to add a crane (or two).

William_H

Visit site
Yes there was a thread a few weeks back about spinhalyard pulley on a crane. It is very important on mast head rig to get spin halyard and spin forward and away from forestay.
The halyard comes out of a pulley box in the mast then to a pulley dangling on a shackle on the crane then t the spin. If you want 2 spin halyards then I guess you need to pulleys.
the crane itself would extend forward something like 10cms from the top of the mast. good luck olewill

Neil_Y

www.h4marine.com
What does yours look like? this is one example to show the kite block, still quite close to forestay though.
mast_head_scale.jpg

aquaplane

www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
That isn't as close as mine was rigged on the new mast:

When questioned about the halyard touching the forestay the rigger hooked the halyard behind the cap shroud and pulled the block to one side and back so it wasn't touching.
I thought the halyard should exit the mast above the forestay instead of a foot below it.

That's definitely not right. The halyard exit should be offset from the centreline of the mast as should the crane/block attachment point.
As for hooking it round the cap shroud...

masthead.JPG

doug748

Visit site
Selden mast, roller furling masthead foresail .. ..

And there are two spinnaker halyards one each side of the furling headsail.

So whats the best way to arrange the masthead so far as the spinnaker halyards are concerned? At the moment with an asymetric the wear on the halyard is really bad if the asymetric is set say to starboard with the port halyard, and still reasonably bad if set starboard to starboard or port to port.

With the intenion to add a proper spinnaker how can chaffing at the masterhead be resolved / and or improved as well with the asy as it is a pain dropping it for every gybe to change halyards.

Thank you

Mine is like yours, I guess it is a leftover from the days of hanked on foresails. It is a pooor idea and tends to foul the head roller unless you drop the big sail prior to unfurling the genoa.

I tend to make sure I drop the spinnaker on the correct jibe - behind the main.

If I take the mast down this winter, I will extend each block forward on a crane.

I am not too sure how far though, any suggestions?

knuterikt

Visit site
I got a new spinnaker crane made to get a stronger crane with more clearance.

View from the bottom
51398e2f.jpg

top view
4a5b2949.jpg

Spinnaker halyard exit holes (staggered port & starboard)
d52861a7.jpg

The old crane.....
d9997b00.jpg

aitchem

Visit site
I have been looking for a mast-mounted block to keep the halyard aligned with the mast slot to prevent chafing.
All I have seen so far is the harken flip-flop blocks at 200 squids a pop.
Another problem I can forsee with the flip-flop is mounting to the radius of the mast front profile.
is there an alternative someone can suggest pls.?