Marlec HRDX controller 15.40v - Help/Advice

Solar2020

Visit site
Hello, I own a Marlec HRDX controller, which is connected to one 100w solar panel. When I looked at the controller this morning , the red regulator light was lit, but the display voltage going to my battery was 15.40v. Is this normal, for those of you that own a Marlec controller?

I read the manual , and understood that the cut in voltage was 13.8 and the max voltage was 14.4, at which point the regulator should shunt the excess power. I have just checked my battery voltage with a multimeter and it is reading 15.40 volts, which at least reconciles with what is on the HRDX display, but makes me wonder whether the regulator is actually working?

It is a sunny day and I just wonder how high the voltage can safely get?

RIBW

Visit site
.... the display voltage going to my battery was 15.40v. Is this normal, for those of you that own a Marlec controller?
I have never seen anything above 13.8V on mine.

Marlec have always given me excellent advice. 1st stop with them is a phone call - usually is helpful and knowledgeable.
Cheers
Bob

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Hello, I own a Marlec HRDX controller, which is connected to one 100w solar panel. When I looked at the controller this morning , the red regulator light was lit, but the display voltage going to my battery was 15.40v. Is this normal, for those of you that own a Marlec controller?

I read the manual , and understood that the cut in voltage was 13.8 and the max voltage was 14.4, at which point the regulator should shunt the excess power. I have just checked my battery voltage with a multimeter and it is reading 15.40 volts, which at least reconciles with what is on the HRDX display, but makes me wonder whether the regulator is actually working?

It is a sunny day and I just wonder how high the voltage can safely get?

It's already too high, turn it off/disconnect it.

VicS

Visit site
I have never seen anything above 13.8V on mine.

Marlec have always given me excellent advice. 1st stop with them is a phone call - usually is helpful and knowledgeable.
Cheers
Bob
It should start to modulate its output at 13.8 volt and then progressively reduce the output as the volts increase to a maximum of 14.4.

RIBW

Visit site
It should start to modulate its output at 13.8 volt and then progressively reduce the output as the volts increase to a maximum of 14.4.
Sorry Vic, I may not understand you correctly - here's my setup:-
I use my 20W solar panel to trickle charge the batteries in my absence. When I leave the boat the batteries will be less than fully charged and 'trickling' will commence. Next visit, on arrival, I see 13.8V, never more. Of course anything could be happening in my absence.
I have a cold standby 60W panel. I could connect that on the second input as a test and watch what happens over time.
Cheers
Bob

VicS

Visit site
Sorry Vic, I may not understand you correctly - here's my setup:-
I use my 20W solar panel to trickle charge the batteries in my absence. When I leave the boat the batteries will be less than fully charged and 'trickling' will commence. Next visit, on arrival, I see 13.8V, never more. Of course anything could be happening in my absence.
I have a cold standby 60W panel. I could connect that on the second input as a test and watch what happens over time.
Cheers
Bob
I was quoting how Marlec say the HRDX works
It starts to control the charging when the volts rise to 13.8 and progressively reduces the current until it reaches a maximum of 14.4 volts .

Kelpie

Visit site
I also have a HRDX with 100w of solar, and I have never seen it reading over 14v. I would second the suggestion to disconnect immediately as you may be damaging your batteries irreparably.

Solar2020

Visit site
Hi, apologies for the late reply. Thank you for all your replies. I disconnected the panel so no charge is currently going through the controller; I contacted Marlec and explained the issue : they said the controller is clearly faulty, but also out of warranty. If I send it to them to be repaired it is 45GBP an hour.

A new HRDSi controller is around the 150 GBP mark. Do any of yo u use any other brand of controllers? I have done a lot of testing and it appears it is only the voltage regulator that is not working correctly. I can still shut the turbine, or panels down via the controller and see the current battery voltage and the amps being generated. I am tempted to wire in a voltage regulator in between the controller and batteries to regulate the voltage to the batteries.

Does anyone have a link to a voltage regulator they have used? There are hundreds on ebay and it can be a bit of a mine field.

Thank you for your help

tjbrace

Visit site
The controller for my wind turbine is electronically potted so it cannot be repaired. Its replacement, by Eclectic Energy, seems to be working fine. They confirmed the original controller developed a fault but didn’t say if this was reflected in a design change.

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
Hi, apologies for the late reply. Thank you for all your replies. I disconnected the panel so no charge is currently going through the controller; I contacted Marlec and explained the issue : they said the controller is clearly faulty, but also out of warranty. If I send it to them to be repaired it is 45GBP an hour.

A new HRDSi controller is around the 150 GBP mark. Do any of yo u use any other brand of controllers? I have done a lot of testing and it appears it is only the voltage regulator that is not working correctly. I can still shut the turbine, or panels down via the controller and see the current battery voltage and the amps being generated. I am tempted to wire in a voltage regulator in between the controller and batteries to regulate the voltage to the batteries.

Does anyone have a link to a voltage regulator they have used? There are hundreds on ebay and it can be a bit of a mine field.

Thank you for your help
Why not open up your Marlec and see if you can identify the regulator fitted?