Leaking diesel tank

coromandeljohn

Visit site
steel hull and inbuilt diesel tank, absolute pinhole in weld, VERY slight seepage. Interior inaccessible. What about emptying tank, filling with CO2, applying slight vacuum pressure, grinding pinholed weld site and then run a bead over the top? or even araldite? Opinions please.

Oily Rag

Visit site
It could be a single pinhole or it could be like a lace curtain.

Before splashing out on a new tank, could you drop the fuel level and then either pack the area with Milliput or apply braze/solder to block the hole?

burgundyben

Visit site
I owned a VW diesel camper van. The top of the steel fuel tank became very badly corroded. I took it out of the vehicle, drained the diesel, washed it out with water and brazed patches over the top with oxy acetylene. No problem.

I've done it on a Triumph Spitfire petrol tank, wash out with detergent and water, leave in the sun for a bit, sniff test all good, fire up gas torch and brazed the crack.

coromandeljohn

Visit site
Unless it's been leaking from new, there's corrosion going on, and where there's one hole, I reckon there'll be more soon.

If it's not too hard to get out, I'd bite the bullet and change the tank. A new plastic tank will see you out.
part of the hull, but thanks

PetiteFleur

Visit site
The steel tank leaked when I bought our boat, had to cut it into 3 pieces to remove it and found a previous owner had tried to cure the leaks by epoxy all around the base corners and joints. Obviously hadn't worked - I replaced with a Plastimo plastic tank.