Isle of Wight open or closed?

dancrane

Visit site
I heard Red Funnel still isn't taking bookings from visitors, and I believe all the island's hotels are closed. I suppose marinas are, too.

Does anything prevent day-sailing visitors from using anchorages, or just parking on a sand-bar for long enough to visit bakeries?

I can't stop thinking about the shortbread at Bembridge.

49968249577_64066db9b3_c.jpg

Newboy6458

Visit site
Red funnel state they have no remit or authority to check a passengers reason for travel. (Their website) However they request you only use them for essential reasons. Also the no staying away from home night still applies.

dancrane

Visit site
(y) Thanks, that's very encouraging.

If one attempted to come ashore elsewhere, Sandown or Seaview for instance, for ice cream, would there be any for sale?

Or would the retirement homes disgorge a Dad's Army crew of pitchfork-wielders to discourage landing inflatables?

Can't see it, myself. Hasn't anybody tried it?

ashtead

Visit site
Seaview was fairly quiet at weekend but plenty moored in sea grove bay and I rather doubt if you wanted to anchor for night in priory or camp on the beach anyone would object . Sadly ice cream in short supply in Seaview but there’s an M&S in Newport which no doubt stocks Percy pig ice cream even if Gloria is no longer churning out minghellas sadly in Ryde.

dancrane

Visit site
Thanks! ?

Hard to imagine the places currently open, doing anything to discourage anybody who's able to visit, with cash to spend.

William_H

Visit site
My sympathy to all my UK friends with the lockdown and pandemic. I have to say I feel very fortunate to live in Oz right now. Especially West oz. From Friday we will be almost completely open with 100 people allowed in a bar, schools have been back for 5 weeks and yippee the yacht club will be open for meals drinks and yacht racing. really no community transmission for a month or so. We got a load of 20 cases from a live sheep carrier ship from Kuwait and several cases from people in mandatory isolation from over seas. Borders with other states and countries locked down. I will be fascinated to see if the madness in USA results in more virus cases. Stay safe ol'will