• REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as YBW, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health and liberty is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Users who are found to promulgate FAKE NEWS on the forum in regard to this issue, intentional or otherwise, may find their access terminated. It is your responsibility to provide references to bona fide sources.

FAKE NEWS, in this regard, is that which is posited by organisations, media, etc., that is repeated on the forum, or used to support personal opinion/hypothesis posted by users - FAKE NEWS is not necessarily the personal opinion/hypothesis being posted in itself, any issues with such should be challenged respectfully.

Is the Solent still Clear?

Ian_Rob

Does the Solent still have the clear water that was being reported a few weeks back?

Any recent photos anybody?

Last edited:

DJE

Portsmouth Harbour looked pretty ordinary on Wednesday.

boatmike

I live at Lee-on-Solent. There are a few sails out there now but not too many. I rang around the local marinas and stopping points yesterday and although they are all letting local boats out to play they are not accepting visitors on the basis that government guidelines still say you need to return to your own bed each evening. The guys who are out there are therefore returning home each day or hiding in an anchorage overnight.

matt1

FWIW River Hamble was it's usual murky, sediment rich self on Monday. Didn't notice any difference

Seven Spades

The hamble was really clear during lockdown. I went down on the Wednesday evening after lockdown was removed and the clarity was about 3-4 feet. It is not now.

boatmike

Oh right! You meant literally "water clear" ..... Well two things. The bottom is stirred up by heavy weather and high traffic. We have had neither recently. Having lived here since 1984 I can tell you that the weather has more of an effect on clarity of the water near the Lee shore than boats do. Obviously rivers like the Hamble will be different.

richardbrennan

I could still see the whole of my rudder in Haslar Marina yesterday, which is not the usual case.