Ignoring COVID-19 regulations

steve yates

Visit site
You cannot stay overnight in your boat, period. It's that simple right now as far as the law goes. Of course you may decide to do it anyway, cos you want to. That's fine, if your prepared to pay the fine of you get caught and prosecuted, unlikely as that may be.
Same as you may decide to drive at 80 instead of 70, cos your in a hurry. It's still illegal, so same thing, just take the points and the fine if you get caught without whinging about it.
I will not sail at the moment, certainly not overnight. But that is because my wife is shielding. If I was on my own, I would sail overnight, and anchor. It would still be illegal though.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
I had a lovely day sail this week.

Overall, I think I might have passed a couple of hundred empty moorings because of the
lock down.

I picked up one of them for lunch. After about half an hour, a very nice sailor turned up with his yacht and asked if I could move from his mooring.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Personally I can’t see the logic in not being allowed to stay overnight.
I think it's probably because it's so difficult to draw a line. Touring caravan, wild / Yacht at anchor? No problem. Touring caravan in an otherwise empty site / Yacht on a visitor mooring? OK. Touring caravan in a busy site / Yacht visiting busy marina? Not OK. Static caravan on its own / Yacht on her mooring? Fine. Static caravan in a campsite / yacht in her marina berth? Not OK. Much easier just to say no overnights away. We'll survive, mostly.

[159032]

Visit site
I think it's probably because it's so difficult to draw a line. Touring caravan, wild / Yacht at anchor? No problem. Touring caravan in an otherwise empty site / Yacht on a visitor mooring? OK. Touring caravan in a busy site / Yacht visiting busy marina? Not OK. Static caravan on its own / Yacht on her mooring? Fine. Static caravan in a campsite / yacht in her marina berth? Not OK. Much easier just to say no overnights away. We'll survive, mostly.

Yes. The rules are for everyone, but the government doesn't expect everyone to be reasonable. What they do expect is for people to take the piss. In the case of staying overnight on a boat, in a caravan or a tent, that would be people from different households in close proximity, and very likely drunk and off their heads on chemical substances.
Unfortunately "give 'em and inch and they'll take a mile" has to be a basic reality of the Great British Unwashed.

xyachtdave

Visit site
I had a lovely day sail this week.

Overall, I think I might have passed a couple of hundred empty moorings because of the
lock down.

I picked up one of them for lunch. After about half an hour, a very nice sailor turned up with his yacht and asked if I could move from his mooring.

Please tell us you lassoed it and the owner went nuts?!

doug748

Visit site
Personally I can’t see the logic in not being allowed to stay overnight. Certainly not anchored or on a swinging mooring but it’s the law so....

As I see it the Government wants to stop an immediate, short term, stampede to holiday homes, camp sites, camper vans, B n Bs, caravans, bordellos, hotels and Mums little place in the Cotswolds. Boats fall into the same general group, It's seems to me a fair plan right now, in order to deter folk from travelling across country and mingling when they arrive.
With luck it only has to stand up a few weeks, it does not need drafting like the Bill of Rights.

It would be an injustice to exempt me (or anyone else) from the law just because I can walk to the boat and would create zero risk. Exactly the same bind as the Lockdown. Public health measures are like that, they may have to prevent 10 safe activities to catch one problem.
As Steve Yates has said you make your own mind up but if you travel a long way most marinas will not want you overnight, many small harbours are closed for overnight stays and it's a bit dull anyway with the boozers, cafes, shops and restaurants closed.

Stemar

Visit site
Am I the only one expecting a new peak and reimposed restrictions in the next month? Politicians can't admit it publicly, but the lockdown was only ever about reducing the load on the NHS.

ISTM there are only four exits from the pandemic, in no particular order.

1. An effective vaccine - likely, but will take a while
2. Herd immunity - most of us will get it, some will die, but in the absence of any of the other exits, we'll get there, like it or not.
3. The virus mutates and becomes less harmful - just another cold. Could happen, but it's far from inevitable and, if it does, it could well be in part because of a partial immunity from 2
4. It disappears like SARS and MERS. - Track and trace was far easier with SARS, because it produced symptoms quickly and asymptomatic infections didn't seem to happen, but it did seem to work. MERS was far less contagious, R<1, after an initial rash of cases, so it just faded out.

Even if we do get a vaccine, it's likely those who can't have it for various reasons will still be vulnerable. Even before it's available, anti-vaxxers are hard at work with their lies, damned lies and dodgy science. IIRC, a recent poll in the US found that only about half of those questioned would take a CV vaccine, and that's way short of the numbers needed to protect the involuntarily unvaccinated.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
It's clearly a risk

However, given all the talk about summer holidays in the first week of July I think there would be real problems in imposing restrictions again unless there was a catastrophic failure in the NHS's ability to cope.