how heavy is 10mm in 12h rain?

shmoo

Visit site
We've off on summer cruise weekend after next and looking at wetterzentrale 15 day forcast maps it looks a bit wet in the channel and round the end of brittainy.

The 12h Niederschlag chart spends a lot of time in the 10-15mm range - is that gentle drizzle or a real downpour?

sarabande

Visit site
That dumps one litre onto every square metre of ground in 12 hours; that's one kilo. Roughly equivalent to 0.8 inches of rain in 24 hours; that's no drizzle.

2Tizwoz

Visit site
Its far worse than that
in Somerset
_42401656_adam_heskins2.jpg

peterb

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
That dumps one litre onto every square metre of ground in 12 hours; that's one kilo. Roughly equivalent to 0.8 inches of rain in 24 hours; that's no drizzle.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got your decimal point wrong; 1mm over 1 sq m is a litre, 10 mm gives 10 litres. Remember that 1 cubic metre = 1 tonne = 1000 litres; 1 mm of rain gives a thousandth of a cubic metre on every square metre.

sarabande

Visit site
gimme break ! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I have only got ten fingers !

OOOooooops ! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

shmoo

Visit site
Thanks all.

The one I can releat best to:
[ QUOTE ]

We had 50mm in 3 hrs last night and it was very very heavy, verging on the distinctly unpleasant . Does that help?

[/ QUOTE ]

leads me to:

if 10mm fell in 3 hrs (20% of very very heavy) that might be classed as mearly "heavy" or

if 10mm fell in 12 hrs ( ie 25% of "heavy", or 5% of very very heavy) that sounds like - kind of - light?

There needs to be a Beufort scale of rain heavyness.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Puts on moth-eaten arithmetic hat.

10 mm in 12 hours = .83 mm per hour = .83 litres per hour per square metre. If a sq m is roughly the floor area of a big cockpit, then it's like someone slowly emptying a not-quite-litre of water per hour into you cockpit, through a shower head. Or has my decimal point moved one place forward?

Wet, but not outrageous.

Depressing for 12 hours? You bet!

shmoo

Visit site
Problem solved. Just found academic paper Automating the Observation of Drizzle (full ref on request) that defines heavy drizzle as 0.02 inches/h (it being US)

so 0.02 * 12 * 25 = 6mm in 12 h

so my 10-15mm in 12h is about twice as heavy as heavy drizzle.

I can live with that. So we plan to go...