Having spent 91 days in France in 2021, what happens next?

lustyd

Visit site
. It can last for up to 1 year, but after 183 days you become resident for tax purposes.
I don’t think it’s unreasonable that after 6 months youre expected to contribute to the country you’re living in. 6 months in one place isn’t cruising, it’s staying!

syvictoria

Visit site
I don’t think it’s unreasonable that after 6 months youre expected to contribute to the country you’re living in. 6 months in one place isn’t cruising, it’s staying!

I'm not sure that anyone suggested that it wasn't reasonable. It has just been mentioned as it is something to be aware of.

As for 'one place', France, for example, is a vast place and you certainly could 'cruise' beyond 6 months without leaving the country!

st599

Visit site
I'm not sure that anyone suggested that it wasn't reasonable. It has just been mentioned as it is something to be aware of.

As for 'one place', France, for example, is a vast place and you certainly could 'cruise' beyond 6 months without leaving the country!

Doesn't the visa require you to tell them the address? It's assumed a Marina address counts, but would multiple Marina addresses?

syvictoria

Visit site
Doesn't the visa require you to tell them the address? It's assumed a Marina address counts, but would multiple Marina addresses?

That's my concern. If we are required to take out a berth contract for the duration (even if you never actually take the boat there - which is arguably wrong if space/availability is at a premium), the process of getting a long stay tourist visa will become very expensive. I think most of us are just all going to have to learn how to deal with 90/180. :cry:

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I have no experience of visa application for medium term stays in France but currently moving there permanently and going through the process. Being used to the streamlined procedures for this kind of thing in UK it has come as something of a shock to find how bureaucratic France is. Everything needs meetings, signatures and reams of paper and seemingly interminable time. Even applying for a bonus card for our local Super-U store requires us to fill out an A4 form listing our bank name, address, email, phone, date of birth, children's names, dates of birth and more besides.

Not something to be achieved easily and I cannot believe that applying for a visa will be a straightforward process.

Frogmogman

Visit site
I have no experience of visa application for medium term stays in France but currently moving there permanently and going through the process. Being used to the streamlined procedures for this kind of thing in UK it has come as something of a shock to find how bureaucratic France is. Everything needs meetings, signatures and reams of paper and seemingly interminable time. Even applying for a bonus card for our local Super-U store requires us to fill out an A4 form listing our bank name, address, email, phone, date of birth, children's names, dates of birth and more besides.

Not something to be achieved easily and I cannot believe that applying for a visa will be a straightforward process.

The five words I most dread in the French language are "Il faut monter un dossier"

dom

Visit site
Not sure how many have tried it, but Cyprus, Malta offer(ed) some attractive passport schemes although these are now semi-closed. However, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Lithuania, Latvia, Croatia, and even Italy and Luxembourg offer investment citizenship/residency schemes.

I mention this because many EU citizens living in the UK are opting for dual citizenship and it might be a good route for those who want to spend a lot of time in the EU moving freely back and forward from the UK and from country to country. For those not wanting dual citizenship, residency also offers the right to travel freely in the Schengen area.

Just a thought.

syvictoria

Visit site
For those not wanting dual citizenship, residency also offers the right to travel freely in the Schengen area.

Sadly I don't believe that to be correct. I think you're still limited to 90/180 in countries other than the one that you are resident in? Citizenship is of course a different matter and would allow full FoM.

dom

Visit site
Sadly I don't believe that to be correct. I think you're still limited to 90/180 in countries other than the one that you are resident in? Citizenship is of course a different matter and would allow full FoM.

As I understand it, a residence permit granted on the basis of an investor residence scheme ("golden visa") allows its holder to travel freely within the Schengen area for 90 days in any 180 day period. In addition, the holders spouse and 2 children, parents, and even grandparents of the main applicant and/or the spouse can apply as dependents if they are financially dependent on investor residency visa holder.

Some of these schemes have, however, recently been restricted/tightened as the European Commission got fed up with them.

Alternatively, go the full citizenship route and one is basically good to go.

syvictoria

Visit site
As I understand it, a residence permit granted on the basis of an investor residence scheme ("golden visa") allows its holder to travel freely within the Schengen area for 90 days in any 180 day period. In addition, the holders spouse and 2 children, parents, and even grandparents of the main applicant and/or the spouse can apply as dependents if they are financially dependent on investor residency visa holder.

Some of these schemes have, however, recently been restricted/tightened as the European Commission got fed up with them.

Sorry, I wasn't aware of the difference presented by the "golden visa".

If only going "the full citizenship route" was a quick and easy solution!

syvictoria

Visit site
Having had a quick google, am I correct in thinking that a "golden visa" is actually a way of getting immediate full residency (and hence FoM?) without going through the process of first getting temporary residence (which doesn't grant FoM)?

dom

Visit site
Sorry, I wasn't aware of the difference presented by the "golden visa".

If only going "the full citizenship route" was a quick and easy solution!

Agreed, it's not easy, but your bio says Norwich + NL? My wife is from the mainland EU and she's had to go through that wretched giant form which requires loads of backup docs, she had go and take a test on UK history (Normans, Henry VIII, Parliament, etc.), and also a spoken English test despite living here for years.

When she went for her English test, the woman was from Pakistan with a heavy accent, a problem compounded by her wearing a face mask. Mrs thinks she was lucky to pass! ?

dom

Visit site
Having had a quick google, am I correct in thinking that a "golden visa" is actually a way of getting immediate full residency (and hence FoM?) without going through the process of first getting temporary residence (which doesn't grant FoM)?

That's as I understand it, but I am absolutely NOT an expert on this. This doc explains some of the details -- plus links to some other relevant docs -- and also touches on why the European Commission became irritated with Malta and Cyprus:
https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/info/files/com_2019_12_final_report.pdf

syvictoria

Visit site
Agreed, it's not easy, but your bio says Norwich + NL? My wife is from the mainland EU and she's had to go through that wretched giant form which requires loads of backup docs, she had go and take a test on UK history (Normans, Henry VIII, Parliament, etc.), and also a spoken English test despite living here for years.

When she went for her English test, the woman was from Pakistan with a heavy accent, a problem compounded by her wearing a face mask. Mrs thinks she was lucky to pass! ?

Us: Norwich, Boat: NL at present! I'm fortunate in that I'm eligible for two other EU passports. Sadly my other half isn't... We're resigned now to waiting to see how things pan out in the coming months, but I can't help but to keep trying to find a magic solution!!!

Reactions: dom

steve yates

Visit site

That's just the same as anyone else though surely?