Ghost Ship aground at Ballycotton

Irish Rover

Visit site
Something or more likely someone started the fire. How can the authorities be sure there aren't casualties on board until the fire is extinguished?

Stemar

Visit site
I'm perhaps being a little unkind, but ITSTM that the kind of people that would start a fire there wouldn't be a great loss. Still, I can see the headlines "Six convictions for criminal damage and a couple of GBHs "A lovely lad - wouldn't hurt a fly say parents. Councillor SelfServer demands enquiry"

Kelpie

Visit site
Cork County Council firefighters in East Cork battled a fire which broke out on board the shipwreck, the MV Alta.

OK. I'm totally ignorant of such things, but why bother? It's difficult to get to with firefighting kit (=risk of accidents) and there's nothing worth saving
Depending on exactly what is going up in smoke, there could be a pollution argument?

Vicarage

Visit site
Protector has something like half a dozen GPMG and possibly four miniguns which are only fitted when she's outside the Antarctic. The Antarctic Treaty means that she can't carry even these fitted when she's south of the treaty line. Nothing much of any value for sinking a ship. I was told that if it got really exciting then there is a hard point for fitting a CIWS, but given we only own about four phalanx and they're swapped between ships all the time, I suspect she's fairly low down the priority list.

The navy do very definitely have drones because a mate went on the special course (genuinely) to learn the approved method to lob them off flight decks