French Boats

Wansworth

Visit site
In my part of Spain all the small second hand boats are French from the 1970s more or less and have that typical French look of designed for utility as opposed to the old British designs that still hankered after curved sheer lines and yet the language of the French is about love whilst the Brit’s are known for their pragmatism ?

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
In my part of Spain all the small second hand boats are French from the 1970s more or less and have that typical French look of designed for utility as opposed to the old British designs that still hankered after curved sheer lines and yet the language of the French is about love whilst the Brit’s are known for their pragmatism ?

When it comes to making money the French are very pragmatic, the designed and produced small boats that could be made quickly and cheaply (relatively) for a large market.

Frogmogman

Visit site
If any French boat of the 60s and 70s was a triumph of form following function, it has to be Philippe Harle’s Muscadet. One of the boats that really democratized yachting in France.

What was at the time an extremely controversial hull shape, now shares many of the features of the latest contemporary designs, in particular the chines, slab sides and reverse sheer. Truly a mould breaking concept.

Great little boats too, still hugely popular over here.
B178FF88-3B88-425E-937F-97F33E6E18CF.jpeg

Wansworth

Visit site
If any French boat of the 60s and 70s was a triumph of form following function, it has to be Philippe Harle’s Muscadet. One of the boats that really democratized yachting in France.

What was at the time an extremely controversial hull shape, now shares many of the features of the latest contemporary designs, in particular the chines, slab sides and reverse sheer. Truly a mould breaking concept.

View attachment 128927
Yes I remember them well and the number of French sailors that could get in them?…there is one in the Vigo

Fr J Hackett

Visit site

View attachment 128927

Met a Frenchman in Glengarriff that had single handed direct from southern Brittany in one his wife was flying out to join him. :ROFLMAO:

Poignard

Visit site

View attachment 128927
I was in Camaret when a flotilla of them came inon their way up the coast towards Calais . All brightly coloured and looking very attractive. The owners were from all walks of life and having a great time.

The French have yet to learn that, to be enjoyable, sailing requires large boats fitted with lots of expensive equipment.

Wansworth

Visit site
I was in Camaret when a flotilla of them came inon their way up the coast towards Calais . All brightly coloured and looking very attractive. The owners were from all walks of life and having a great time.

The French have yet to learn that, to be enjoyable, sailing requires large boats fitted with lots of expensive equipment.
John Cleese in on sketch as a doctor asked for. Machine the whent”ping”……there was hardly room for the patient?

Skylark

Visit site
My nostalgia sweet spot is the 70s but I live in 2022.

French boating industry today is thriving and one lays claim to being “the biggest manufacturer in the world”. By contrast and in comparison, the UK boating industry barely exists. It didn’t fare well for pragmatism.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I sail a mid 1980s French boat. Practical, appeals to my eye and easy to sail.

When visiting France there are far more boats on the water than this side of la manche.

westernman

www.devalk.nl

Mini Transat.
High performance affordable, competitive, 6.5m race boat.

Daydream believer

Visit site

View attachment 128927
But did we not have the Debutante before that? Late 50s, early 60s I think

Daydream believer

Visit site
My nostalgia sweet spot is the 70s but I live in 2022.

French boating industry today is thriving and one lays claim to being “the biggest manufacturer in the world”. By contrast and in comparison, the UK boating industry barely exists. It didn’t fare well for pragmatism.
But supported financially by the French government when times got hard. Different to ours, that raised VAT & wiped out a number of UK companies, relying on the home market to support the small export market that they had

Mataji

Visit site
I was admiring the William Fife boats at one of their 4 yearly regattas on the Clyde some years ago. Two of the smaller ones berthed next to each particularly took my eye. Both were immaculate and beautiful. One was 100 years old, the other had just been been built - in Brittany.

capnsensible

Visit site
But supported financially by the French government when times got hard. Different to ours, that raised VAT & wiped out a number of UK companies, relying on the home market to support the small export market that they had
Do you have any link for that? Would be interesting to look. Wikipedia has no mention of subsidies for Beneteau or Junneau. Those entries got me wondering... I've sailed a variety of different ones over the years.
Didn't realise Benneteau go back to 1884!