Fire at Platts Eyot

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
It will be interesting to see how the new housing is laid out.

Shanly owned (Sorbon estates) for a few years so not rocket science that they want to put a lot of housing on there but bridge problems, listed structures etc etc.

I reckon the proper road access bridge will end up being on the Molesey side when they put the houses and apartments on site.

ETA I hope everyone is ok I know there are a few residential boats on there renting moorings from Sorbon. Hopefully this is a commercial building fire rather than related to boats.

Be safe and be lucky.

thamesS23

www.spotonprint.net
Only passed this way a few times. Am I right in thinking that this is the large island that had (last year), quite a few large almost derelict industrial buildings on it? Had it been bought for development then?

Lower Limit 1909

Visit site
Large asbestos roof and other panels IIRC so there are going to be a few clean up challenges. Surprised therefore to see large numbers of rowing crews carrying on regardless downwind of the fire.

Probably easier than a controlled demolition though - even if the requested permission had been granted for the demolition to take place ...

Sad loss of a bit of Thornycroft History where a large number of WW2 vessels were built. Buildings that survived until today despite heavy bombing of the area during WW2.

Lower Limit 1909

Visit site
Only passed this way a few times. Am I right in thinking that this is the large island that had (last year), quite a few large almost derelict industrial buildings on it? Had it been bought for development then?

Yes. Planning permission sought for 74 homes / restaurant / car park etc.

st599

Visit site
Cycled past there a few times. The entrance is a very narrow iron suspension bridge. No way they could get more than a few hoses over it.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
The bridge is the main problem because it is only wide enough to get one of those little Kei vans across. Like a Hijet.

I believe but am not certain that the bridge itself is listed and not allowed to put another one alongside it.

Obviously if the island is developed a proper full size road bridge will be needed. That's quite complicated if you are not allowed to replace existing.

It might end up having to be on other side at an angle to get the right air draught.

Awkward one but essential for any development to take place.

Maybe lack of fire brigade access can be used to argue for removal and replacement of existing bridge....

Time Out

Visit site
If you have a Bedford Rascal to sell this is the place ;)

From the pix they ran the hoses across the bridge and successfully extinguished the fire. Although the rain may have helped ! But I’m no firefighter...

Such a shame a number of boats lost inc at least one DLS. Pity they were not on the other side.

Let’s see what happens next, I suspect a number of years before we see anything sadly.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
If it's the boat I am thinking of that's a great shame as was a very nice vessel.

Also I wonder if Porto Cristo is ok. She was actually built there for a private client and has been moored on the Hampton side bottom end of the island. Might be ok there.

Time Out

Visit site
If it's the boat I am thinking of that's a great shame as was a very nice vessel.

Also I wonder if Porto Cristo is ok. She was actually built there for a private client and has been moored on the Hampton side bottom end of the island. Might be ok there.
LADY GAY according to Twitter.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Screenshot_2021-05-04-10-16-51-238_com.android.chrome.jpg

Lifted from Twitter. Looks like most of the vessels on the Hampton side of the sheds have been hit. That's where Porto Cristo was moored last time I passed. Looks really nasty from that view. There used to be an MTB there as well but I think it may have moved.

The residential boats are further up the island.

Last edited:

Adios

Visit site
Very nasty. You'd think one of the first things they'd do is send someone down and cast off the highly flammable fuel and gas filled boats.