Detune / Retune of Yamaha 6 / 8hp Outboard

kanguru007

Visit site
Screenshot 2020-12-26 at 21.07.34 .png

The answers to all these questions are in the service manual. The service manual us publicly available. Thank you Yamaha for being so good to us. I will never buy an outboard from a different brand.

Resa

Visit site
Hi folks, I just tuned -95 yamaha 6hp 2-stroke by drilling the choking parts away from exhaust side, the goal is to make it 8hp model:). In the same time I decided to overhaul water pump even though water flew from telltale just fine. I changed impeller, pump housing+insert and gasket of course.
Now I'm facing strange problem. Water is coming normally from upper hole of the water pump when rotating gearbox (with cordless drill) in water tank. But when the gearbox is assembled to engine, I cannot get any water from telltale when running the motor, only exhaust gas is coming out from hole.
I thought the reason could be increased exhaust pressure...maybe, I really do not understand this.

I'm sure many has done this very same tune, probably someone has encountered the same problem?

Rappey

Visit site
Have you drilled through something you should not have and altered where the flow goes ? Maybe the waterpipe that goes from the impellor to powerhead is not correctly located in the power head?