Decisions Decisions

oldgit

Visit site
Too far North I suspect .

That is on the radar and looks to be a nice one.
As an exercise have just been comparing the cost of bringing something like that back by sea compared to trucking it back to civilisation ...its probably cheaper by road,including lifts.
280 NM. @ 1 gallon per mile. 225 gallon tanks. Two refills en route.
Price wise, further away from the honeypots Solent and Thames the better.?
Our last trip out boat buying involved a trip to somewhere called err WALES ? ..... think that the correct speeling innit.

Last edited:

Momac

Visit site
The further away from the honeypots of the Solent and The Thames the better price wise
I'm not sure that is necessarily so .
A friend bought his boat in Brighton a few years ago. The asking price was very reasonable and he got a bargain. We figured the relatively high mooring fees were an incentive to sell fast.

oldgit

Visit site
Bouba said: "What has everyone got against French boats"
20%.
Not just French boats, its Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden and Canarian boats and its £30.000 on a £150k boat.

"The Muses, still with freedom found,
Shall to thy happy coasts repair.
Blest isle! with matchless beauty crowned,
And manly hearts to guard the fair". :)

oldgit

Visit site
Any perusal of popular European broker websites indicates boats such as the Princess P40 will have a significantly lower asking price in the EU, suspect this is possibly due to the greater number of boats available to EU buyers.
Seems curious to me that taking back control has resulted in the restriction of the free market and its values, so beloved by those usually unaffected by the tax penalties imposed.
The price difference on average seems to about.................20% extra for boats in the UK.
A collegue recently lost the sale of Broom 33 due the fact the prospective buyer lived in Eire, quite close to border and would need to pay 15K on top of the agreed selling price.
To reduce the matter to reductio ad absurdum , if you wanted to move your boat to a different marina on the other side of the NI/Eire border you would need to import/export it.

Portofino

Visit site
Any perusal of popular European broker websites indicates boats such as the Princess P40 will have a significantly lower asking price in the EU, suspect this is possibly due to the greater number of boats available to EU buyers.
Seems curious to me that taking back control has resulted in the restriction of the free market and its values, so beloved by those usually unaffected by the tax penalties imposed.
The price difference on average seems to about.................20% extra for boats in the UK.
A collegue recently lost the sale of Broom 33 due the fact the prospective buyer lived in Eire, quite close to border and would need to pay 15K on top of the agreed selling price.
To reduce the matter to reductio ad absurdum , if you wanted to move your boat to a different marina on the other side of the NI/Eire border you would need to import/export it.
Yes quite absurd the EUs current initial NI position.No ones denying that .
It will change.
Anyhow fancy a cheap French fishing boat ? Plenty coming up soon , take your pick :D .It won’t have much in the way of paperwork though.Any paperwork!

Alternatively go for a tax free boat Med based and blow the 20 % reduction on travel / guardianarge in a warmer climes .
Take full advantage of your newfound democratically elected third party status in the EU and this benefit that comes with it .
Quite nice boating in warm crystal clear waters you ought to try it one day .

Learn to roll with it not against it .

oldgit

Visit site
anatra

Yes quite absurd the EUs current initial NI position.No ones denying that .
It will change.
Anyhow fancy a cheap French fishing boat ? Plenty coming up soon , take your pick :D .It won’t have much in the way of paperwork though.Any paperwork!

Alternatively go for a tax free boat Med based and blow the 20 % reduction on travel / guardianarge in a warmer climes .
Take full advantage of your newfound democratically elected third party status in the EU and this benefit that comes with it .
Quite nice boating in warm crystal clear waters you ought to try it one day .

Learn to roll with it not against it .

Been there done that , nice if you like spending hours in a stuffy metal tube followed by day after day of blistering heat desperately waiting for the sun to go down in order to come out of hiding in the shade with the added attraction of trying to find somewhere to park in an overcrowded Cala.

If you are lucky the relief from the heat will be when one of the local winds appears overnight confining everybody to the marina for a only few days of a precious holiday., if you are unlucky it turns up late afternoon guarenteeing you a scary run back from your sheltered mooring into open water and back to your marina.
Never say never. May well when tired of life and lost the capability to do proper boating , retire to Gods Own Final Mooring Marina in the Med, slowly going a curious shade of lobster and wearing those worrying shades of pastel beloved by MED skippers. . :)
If ever you tire of dull brown coast line, or become bored that anatra pond of yours, , bring that old tub North into the real world that awaits outside . :)

Last edited:

Portofino

Visit site
^^^ Love it .
Any one else brave enough to heckle OG ? :D .
You are not by any chance related to Bernard Manning ? :unsure:

I will crawl back under my Bimini and keep my gob shut .

Last edited:

Thebazzer

Visit site
Elling E4 Ultimate.
Proper little ship. One can walk as a normal biped around the side decks and the fit is so well done.
Not a gin palace but very comfortable. Technically , excellent. Not a river boat but can manage a lot of the Euro waterways with Radar arch down.
I feel very safe in it. For adventurous folk, the crossing to the land of the free is doable with standard tanks (via the Azores or Iceland).
Horses for...etc of course.
Best,

Baz

Last edited:

Parabordi

Visit site
My last mooring could be in the "MED" , it could be next to yours. :):):).
reminds me when I was a kid on first family trip to St Kats. We moored next to a Broom and the guy said they were on their way to the MED.....My mum said Ooh the Medway! (My Dad groaned...!)