Cosmote - Outlook/OE6...

Caladh

Visit site
...got that sinking feeeling. Justr bought a cosmote PAYG dongle but am unable to send emails. Can't find anything useful on Google. Does anyone know their SMTP address or an alternative way to relay ? I am aware I can use my mail service via a browser. Here's hoping.

paulingreece

www.furryfriendsinneed.com
Go to yahoo.co.uk and open an email account, then use yahoo as your home page, it will give you the server details to put into outlook express, its 11.99 a year but worth while, Cosmote are terrible for email unless its there own service. Good luck.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
...got that sinking feeeling. Justr bought a cosmote PAYG dongle but am unable to send emails. Can't find anything useful on Google. Does anyone know their SMTP address or an alternative way to relay ? I am aware I can use my mail service via a browser. Here's hoping.

If you are using outlook to send, thats will never work. It will of course download your email from your service provider, but the info held within Outlook for a POP3 server is not sufficient to send email. You will have to use the web connection I am afraid.

I go onto the web site and delete and reply to anything there, and then down load to Outlook.

I didn't know that Cosmote had a PAYG data job. I went with Wind - at €17 per month.

paulingreece

www.furryfriendsinneed.com
If you are using outlook to send, thats will never work. It will of course download your email from your service provider, but the info held within Outlook for a POP3 server is not sufficient to send email. You will have to use the web connection I am afraid.

I go onto the web site and delete and reply to anything there, and then down load to Outlook.

I didn't know that Cosmote had a PAYG data job. I went with Wind - at €17 per month.

If you use Yahoo or Google mail you can link to outlook and send and recieve with out any problems, have done it this way for the last 4 years, i only go onto yahoo once a year to renew, everything else is through outlook express.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
If you use Yahoo or Google mail you can link to outlook and send and recieve with out any problems, have done it this way for the last 4 years, i only go onto yahoo once a year to renew, everything else is through outlook express.

Paul, that interesting. BT my provider cannot do it, as its just a POP3 server, so I will look at changing as its a bloody nuisance....

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Is that peculiar to the Cosmote dongle then?

I have a Wind PAYG dongle and have no problem at all using Outlook to send mail

I have a wind monthly dongle, and use BT as my email host. I can recieve but cannot send. BT say that it is not possible with a POP3 server what ever that is. So you must be using Gmail or yahoo who have obviously got there act together!

bryantee

lefkas Greece (Summer)Cochin india(Winter)
Visit site
e mail greece

I use wind on a weekly mobile pen drive dongle now when in greece using firefox . Ihave a otenet e mail account from way back when i had a land line connection and hotmail. I took the laptop into the wind shop they installed and debugged.will not touch i-e now after many problems in india with attempted break ins. with the same lap top . now use a tata pen drive no problems except last year could not use otenet account for outgoing. now ok. there doesnt seem to be much rhyme or reason. but if its not broke -dont. most of the temporary visit yachts here seem to be able to sign up to the indian systems without problems and good download speeds and price.

E1_1966

Visit site
probably OTE/COSMOTE block any connections to outgoing mail servers, other than their own, or do their damndest to stuff you to the back of the virtual queue.
Some UK (and other) providers also wont allow you to connect to their email service unless you are on their circuit, either wireless data or adsl. (Virgin was one culprit)
One that doesnt is O2, amazingly enough, and have had pop3 access globally with them for nigh on 10 years now.
cheers
E1

DaveRo

Visit site
Probably your email provider blocks sent (SMTP) mail from IP addresses that it doesn't own. This is normal with ISP email accounts. You need an email provider that provides authenticated SMTP - i.e. password protected. If you don't have one open a gmail account and send mail through that. You can still use your existing 'From' address.

Clarification: I don't mean gmail using their webmail (though you can do that). Gmail provides SMTP access for email clients like Outlook and Thunderbird. Within gmail set it to use your normal email address for 'From' and 'Reply'. (Gmail provide POP and IMAP too but there is no reason to send mail via the same organisatiion that you receve it from.)

Cosmote certainly does not block SMTP (unless you're using WAP); neither does it provide an SMTP server you can use as some mobile operators do.

POP servers are irrelevant to sending mail.

Addition: If you have the same problem with WIND Greece try mail.b-online.greece as an SMTP server - it used to work.

Last edited:

charles_reed

Visit site
Cosmote only do voice PAYG.

The alternatives, in Greece, for mobile data are OTE (Cosmote parent), WIND and Vodafone. The PAYG tariffs are not as good as contract.

Personally, if given a choice, I'd neither use an Huawei (sic) dongle or Microsoft software, of any kind. Certainly not Internet Explorer which is obese, unstable and trails virtually all other browser software.
IE6 is way out of date.

DaveRo

Visit site
You can do data on Cosmokarte PAYG - I did last year and would be this year too but I'm in Turkey. I've not tried their latest offering though. See
http://yachtvigdis.wordpress.com/greek-internet-weather/

I don't use a dongle - this is a palmtop - but I have done and it works.

Cosmote have better coverage than Wind and Vodafone - there are remote places where only Cosmote is available.

(I'm actually using Wind Greece to post this - from 30 nm NE of Rhodes motoring towards Fethiye - using up my Wind allowance rather than my Turkcell one :)

IanScrim

Visit site
Cosmote do a PAYG Data

Hi
Cosmote do a PAYG data, found the coverage very good in the Ionian
costs are expensive but you do get the choice of
Internet Access TimePrice (€) including VAT (Internet Access Time Pass)Maximum Usage per time pass (GB)*

1 day 5euro 1GB

10 days 15 euro 3Gb

30 days 40 euro 5GB

So good mix and match, the shop in Lefkas was the most useful, the only thing we have not tried yet is obtaining more Top Up cards

http://ciotgonrequest.cosmote.gr/content/en/resources/html/prepaid_internet_onthego_faqs.htm

Caladh

Visit site
Update...

June 21st. To date we have been fairly saisfied with our PAYG Cosmote dongle. Some places its been a little slow (2G) but in the main we can eg. listen to the radio etc. We used hardly 1gb of our monthly 5gb allocation. I resolved the OE6 email issue by using an smtp authorative server e.g 360.com

funkydad

Visit site
SMTP Relay

If you are still having a problem...

This may be because your ISP only allows you to send e-mails when you are connected to their service. Some ISPs do this (a Good Thing) to prevent e-mails being sent as if they were from you from some other internet provider.

To 'fix' this, go into the Outlook options, go into the Advanced Settings and you should find an Outgoing Server tab. This will normally be empty because the default is created as if you were connected directly to your ISP. You'll need to put your SMTP username and password in there and then you should be OK.

HTH

Chris_Robb

Visit site
If you are still having a problem...

This may be because your ISP only allows you to send e-mails when you are connected to their service. Some ISPs do this (a Good Thing) to prevent e-mails being sent as if they were from you from some other internet provider.

To 'fix' this, go into the Outlook options, go into the Advanced Settings and you should find an Outgoing Server tab. This will normally be empty because the default is created as if you were connected directly to your ISP. You'll need to put your SMTP username and password in there and then you should be OK.

HTH
Hi, thanks for that - BT still say it wont work, but it is now.

Slight change from your instructions but my version is this. - well buried on this version of Outlook!

Options - mail setup tab - email accounts - change - - more settings -Outgoing server Tab

Tick My outgoing server (SMPT) requires authentication
then Mark Use same settings as my incoming mail server (ie user name and password)

Much much easier that using web mail!