Cosmote - Outlook/OE6...

Caladh

Visit site
Update 2012

If you are using outlook to send, thats will never work. It will of course download your email from your service provider, but the info held within Outlook for a POP3 server is not sufficient to send email. You will have to use the web connection I am afraid.

I go onto the web site and delete and reply to anything there, and then down load to Outlook.

I didn't know that Cosmote had a PAYG data job. I went with Wind - at €17 per month.

Just a quick update to this thread. To avoid having to use Internet webmail to access my email, this year I spent £18 for (a year) transparent SMTP relying using Authsmtp.com (no connection).

Their SMTP mail server is used as the autheticated relay and wherever you are you can send mail from Outlook Express or Outlook or other mail apps. This works on all relevant devices - PC/Laptop.Andoid/Iphone/Ipod etc etc. Registering on the web site was quick as was the setting up after thier confirmation email arrived.

little_roundtop

tntatsea.wordpress.com
I have a Wind dongle (Huawei) and I use Thunderbird as my mail client. I have two Yahoo accounts and a Gmail account and I have all three accounts configured for POP3/SMTP forwarding and Thunderbird's three mail accounts set up to use the appropriate POP3/SMTP servers. It works just fine for sending and receiving mail from any and all accounts.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Just a quick update to this thread. To avoid having to use Internet webmail to access my email, this year I spent £18 for (a year) transparent SMTP relying using Authsmtp.com (no connection).

Their SMTP mail server is used as the autheticated relay and wherever you are you can send mail from Outlook Express or Outlook or other mail apps. This works on all relevant devices - PC/Laptop.Andoid/Iphone/Ipod etc etc. Registering on the web site was quick as was the setting up after thier confirmation email arrived.

My comments are completely wrong, but were what BT told me. Absolute *******s it was! I was shown how to set the send mail side which needs authentication if off the BT Internet server.

All easy now as I left BT altogether and use GMAIL. However I did use the IMAP server to start with, and Outlook 2010 kept coming up with IMAP erros - apparently well know MS bug. So now changed to POP3 and all is easy. With the IMAP server it will keep synchronizing all your folder on the GMAIL server, creating a lot of traffic, so I now just down load and delete mail -- much simpler.

EDIT - what advantage do you get using that service, when SMTP is already in used by outlook? POP3 to receive SMTP to send.

Caladh

Visit site
Using you own broadband connection you would normally use SMTP protocol to send emails using Outlook/OE. However you'll enter your own ISP's SMTP mail server + more and more providers are requiring you to enetr a username and password. Take your latop or other device elsewhere and you'll have to change the SMTP relay server to whoevers' ISP you happene to connect to or, find out that providers SMTP server - this possible, but you'll probably have to enter a username and password which'll probably be unknown.

Using an authoratative SMTP relay server (such as authsmtp.com) negates any fiddling about and thus sending emails using Outlook or OE6 etc is transparent whatever ISP/Broadband connection you are connected to.

scubaski

Visit site
We were just about to post on this thread with the problems we had been having with outlook, and even following all of the previous advice, our messages from outlook were not sending from our new broadband supplier. We followed Caladh's advice and signed up with Auth SMTP and now no more problems. One word of advice from our experiences over the last 7 months, using internet 3G keys in Greece (Wind), France and the UK. Every time you log on, you are given a different IP address. With the Greek and French keys, many of the IP addresses are blacklisted, and your e mails may not reach the recipient, and you will get no bounce message. To cut a long story short, every time we logged on, we checked if our IP address was OK by sending ourselves an e mail, and if we received it, we knew it would work to send other e mails. Outlook uses the IP address that your ISP(eg.wind) gives you whereas hotmail etc. use their own. If you are using outlook on an internet key without using Auth SMTP, check that all of your e mails are being received. This problem cost our business dearly last year when we found that our replies to enquiries had not been received and people had booked elsewhere.

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
Not sure if this exactly answers the question / deals with the problem, but . . if you set up a Gmail account, that account can not only collect @gmail addresses but also conventional POP3 @foo.com ones and also provides 'send' facilities via gmail too (i.e independent of SMTP).
I have Thunderbird set up that way, with the option to 'send' via gmail. Only drawback is that even if you 'send' from an @foo.com address/account, the email will be received as coming from your @gmail account.
BTW Thunderbird is an excellent free email program. Been around for years, zillions of users. Knocks spots off Outlook Express and Windows Mail, and with the optional Lightning calendar/2do add-on, is more than a match for bloated old Outlook. IMHO.
I avoid Yahoo and Hotmail like the plague - that's where all my spam/****/phishing/malware attempts to come from.

Bl**dy h*ll. We can sail the oceans but we're not allowed to say c r a p . . .

Last edited:

mocruising

Visit site
We use Cosmote, we have been out of Greece for the past six months arrived yesterday paid the 40 Euro and now have full service 5GB for the month.