Cold?

Will

Visit site
just got back from plymouth...

...and it was lovely, cheers. Unbroken sunshine, NE 3/4, flat sea, not a single stinky nasty motorish thing on the water, in fact no one else at all.... where are you all????
Traditional christmas sail - did the same last year in the solent and visited all the usual Cowes, Bucklers hard, Lymington etc, and again unbroken sunshine etc but we were the only boat around! Actually, I'm not complaining; the lack of the crowds is most of the appeal. And to anyone who sails from Plymouth, particularly the yachthaven... you missed the Boringdon Christmas party, you foolish fellows!!!

rbrooks

Visit site
Yes , we got nice and sunburnt last weekend. going to the water again today., I'ts very hot here not "cold" Enjoy your long winter, Hee Hee Ho Ho
Merry Xmas to you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even Byron
R

ccscott49

Visit site
Wonderful! Sun still shining in Portugal!! Mind you I was still sialing this time two years ago out of Dartmouth and it was also wonderful, a touch colder perhaps!

G

Powerboaters

You sure know how to wind them up - well done!

G

The coldest I have ever been in my entire life was sailing on Boxing day from the Solent to get to London Limehouse in time for the Millenium celebrations (which was excellent). Shortly after departure we experienced a storm 10 and sheltered in Portsmouth until it passed. It was shortly after that the heater broke down and it was b****y cold for the rest of the non-stop trip. I wonder how many people remember where they were on the night of the Millenium?

G

Fully concur with IG some of my worse trips this year were south coast in June with high on shore breezes
or generally high southerly or westerlies. Best conditions were in last two weeks during high pressure NE 3-4
has little effect and high pressure keeps waves down. Sunshine and lack of crowds to boot cant beat it.

cneighbour

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
Cold.....I thought it was getting a bit chilly when sailing in the Baltic at Easter time many moons ago. Having sailed from Germany in Cutlass 27's we moored up in a Danish harbour, I went to sleep in a thermal sleeping bag with three layers of clothing on, two blankets underneath and five blankets on top. Woke up the following morning, absolutely frozen with icicles in the cabin, looked outside and the harbour was completely frozen over, that was the coldest I've ever been on a boat or anywhere!

ccscott49

Visit site
We've got icicles hanging under the rig 15 feet long! I kid not! Its -35 wind chill, -14 without snowing and blowing hooligans! Ekofisk, middle of the north sea! I'm glad I'm inside at present!

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
Re: just got back from plymouth...

Must be boring for you to jump across to the raggies site eh H! Still it is Xmas so for once you are very welcome. Enjoyed your tale the other day!

andy_wilson

Visit site
Re: high pressure keeps waves down

Surely if high pressure keeps waves down, it will keep the troughs down just as much.

Nett effect = waves remain the same.

The meam water level might have been down a few inches however.