Caribbean Insurance

Light blue

Visit site
Has anyone got a suggestion for boat insurance for St Vincent and the Grenadines? Caribbean boat insurance has become less available over the years but due to Covid issues instead of leaving the boat ashore in Grenada, as usual, it’s ashore in St Vincent and even our usual insurers, Bishop Skinner, are having problems finding an underwriter, though they’re still on the case. The boat will be ashore for the year’s insurance. I’ve tried lots of brokers and internet searches but the only offer I’ve had to insure a 30 year old 45ft motorsailor is for £6,000 with a massive excess. Last year cruising the Caribbean and then ashore in Grenada was £1,000. Pantaenius (who I don’t usually go with) have managed to find a company and have quoted £2,676 and, unsurprisingly, no windstorm cover. All this makes me very unhappy! With the reputation of Ottley Hall marina in St Vincent I would rather have comprehensive insurance. The boatyard does of course want third party insurance minimum. I’m not keen on a foreign company such as Anjo in Antigua for instance but would be glad to know of any personal experience with a non UK company.

geem

Visit site
Good luck with that one! The reason why yacht insurance has gone through the roof it due to insurance companies offering the kind of insurance you are after. They had a couple of major financial hits. You can understand the reluctance of the industry to offer it.
It doesn't help you but as somebody who keeps their boat out of the hurricane belt in hurricane season but ends up paying for all the damaged boats through increased premiums and am sort of glad that the insurance industry isn't offering you cover. Nothing personal

Bajansailor

Visit site
Massy United Insurance here in Barbados happily insure many boats during the hurricane season - usually their only requirements for a named storm are either moored in a safe harbour / marina, or ashore and secured.
https://www.massyunitedinsurance.com/barbados/personal/marine/cargo/yacht-and-pleasure-craft/

CGI Insurance here also do marine insurance, although they do not seem to specifically mention it on their website.
Motor Insurance, Home Insurance, Online Insurance Quotes - InsureCGI

You could also try Sun General here - here is their proposal form :
https://www.sungeneral.net/images/forms/6-1-marine-hull-(pleasure)-proposal.pdf

I have done surveys on boats here for all of these Insurers.