Buying Sails

ridgy

Visit site
I know someone who had a very tiresome experience with them. Plenty of honest sailmakers around. I wouldn't touch them.

Praxinoscope

Visit site
Best service I have had from sail makers has been with Kemps, I have used Westaway in the past and they were OK but there have been rumblings in forums about them recently.

In use

Visit site
Thanks for these comments.
General thrust seems to be bad news. Fits with my first experience, so far, and likely my last. Am seeking a legal judgement on their appalling service and failed promises to date. Seems they’ve gone bust in the past and perhaps heading that way again. May need to send in the bailiffs!

NealB

Visit site
I hope you get something satisfactorily sorted out with Westaways.

I've been vey happy all round with the service of Ratsey and Lapthorn at Cowes.

They made us a beautiful new cruising mainsail, for our Westerly Falcon, three years ago. Great service, good price, excellent quality.

I dealt with Steve Meakin: an admirably straightforward, experienced, knowledgeable and friendly chap to do business with.

Good luck!!

Last edited:

savageseadog

Visit site
Strange really. I had no problems with Westaway when I bought a second hand sail off them. It was a good few years ago though. There must be some substance to the complaints as there's been several aired.

People I know speak highly of Sanders.

Stenvis

Visit site
Excuses, lies and stalling tactics to keep hold of your money. Even North Sails are only 30% more expensive and worth every penny in reduced stress alone !

Cariadco

Visit site
Recently bought a new, Carbon racing mainsail from UK Sails.
Although I dealt with the Croatia branch, I assume the UK version would be the same.
Superb service, advice, and they were about 30% cheaper than anyone else.
I'll be buying my next sail from them, without a doubt.

In use

Visit site
Have just looked them up at Company House only to discover they are listed as having been ‘dissolved’ last September! I have an online Court Judgement against them that they are ignoring. I could press on with a Warrant of Control to be processed by their local County Court at further expense. But not sure if their is any redress from a company that has been dissolved.