Hand carry parts to greece

Bilgediver

Visit site
Hmm, yes, but it isn't security's job (in the country of origin) to be concerned about tax. I'm surprised you got away with the gear-puller as there is a blanket ban on taking tools in carry-on luggage. Last year I had confiscated a tiny watchmaker's screwdriver all of 5cm long. Not an easy item to replace in Greece - or for that matter, to spot in my carry-on bag!

In theory you should have declared these items to customs on arrival. But in many smaller Greek airports serving holiday resorts, customs would have to be actively sought out, so it's very easy to bring in stuff in your suitcase.
The ban is not tools. The ban is in relation to objects that can cause harm. Screw drivers fall into this category (stabbing) so should be in hold baggage. Been there got the tee shirt. This is dependent on length but the one that caused me a problem was a wee instrument screwdriver.

Shaddickp

Visit site
Hmm, yes, but it isn't security's job (in the country of origin) to be concerned about tax. I'm surprised you got away with the gear-puller as there is a blanket ban on taking tools in carry-on luggage. Last year I had confiscated a tiny watchmaker's screwdriver all of 5cm long. Not an easy item to replace in Greece - or for that matter, to spot in my carry-on bag!

In theory you should have declared these items to customs on arrival. But in many smaller Greek airports serving holiday resorts, customs would have to be actively sought out, so it's very easy to bring in stuff in your suitcase.
Security is performed by private companies that have no relationship on the ground with Customs and Excise. As for the ban on tools I have always been careful not to take anything pointy or even long pieces of metal in hand luggage. This summer I tool threaded bar but in my hold luggage. I'm not surprised about the small screw driver that could clearly be used as a weapon (as could a good quality pen, never taken away). I did once try to go through security with a huge carving knife that we had used earlier in the day for a picnic, and I'd forgotten I was carrying. I was astonished at how indifferent the security people were. They confiscated the knife but didn't even ask why I was carrying it!
As for evading duty taking stuff into the EU that I have already paid VAT on in this country - I didn't vote for Brexit.