Bowthruster problems

nondikass

Visit site
I have had to replace the control panel on my Sidepower bowthruster three times in 5 years. It is a touch panel type and the problem seems to stem from the membrane surface not being up to the job. The current Vetus panel seems to be a better option, as it has done away with the membrane and uses left/right rocker switches.
My Sidepower is about 10 years old, the old 3 wire type, but I have managed to intstall the necessary 4 wire cable.
I cannot get the Vetus panel to complete the power-up sequence.
I have found out that Sidepower utilises negative switching, whereas Vetus incorporates positive switching.
Are the 2 systems mutually incompatable, or has anyone managed to marry the two together?
Would apreciate wiring advice, or ideas on other suitable controllers /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

noelex

Visit site
I have never looked at bow thruster electronics, but I would be surprised if the control panel was nothing more than a series of switches that control solenoids mounted close to the bow thruster (like an anchor winch). If this is the case you can replace the control panel with some simple waterproof switches.
If you can find a fellow boat owner with any electronic knowledge and a multimeter they should be able to point you in the right direction.
If you bring the boat over to the med I would take a look for you.http://www.ybw.com/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

pvb

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I cannot get the Vetus panel to complete the power-up sequence.
I have found out that Sidepower utilises negative switching, whereas Vetus incorporates positive switching.

[/ QUOTE ]I'd have thought that you'd have been better off looking to Sidepower for a new panel. I think it would be tricky to mess about with the internal wiring of the Vetus panel, as it probably includes time delay circuitry, LED indicators, etc.

Boathook

Visit site
If the difference is only the pos. or neg. sides used for switching, then connecting the neg. to the vetus panel should work. My vetus has the four wires. Current in, push switch to turn on solenoid and then 2 wires for the rocker switch to control thrust. A multimeter and time should sort out the problem !!

Gypsy

www.tech-x.com.au
DO you have the model number of your Sidepower unit? Mine is 7 yrs old. The original membrane panel went faulty in the first few weeks. I found Sidepower had a joystck version so I did a warranty/trade up to the joystick whitch is much easier to use, has sat outside in the cockpit ever since and been easy to use.

When the original panel failed I made a temporary panel with 2 push-buttons and an on/off switch. The Sidepower panels have some active components internally to provide the 2 button power on and auto-timeout power off. Perhaps the Vetus unit has clevers like that too and then polarity is important.

I have the manual for my Sidepower unit which covers a range of models/sizes and includes the control panel wiring diagram. If your model is in the range covered I'd be happy to get the manual from the boat and scan the page.