Boat building tv show/documentary

Skal

Visit site
Hello Everybody

Sorry for the nuisance however I am looking if anybody can help me with the name or if anybody recalls a paticular tv show/documentary about boat building.

Its been a while since I saw it (about 10 years) and it was running in the background while I was doing some other work so I do not remember much details. I beleve it was a British show on Discovery Home & Leisure (now Realtime) and it was simular to the Mark Evans "is born" series but it followed the building of a small wooden rowing/sailing dinghy/boat.

I do not remeber much details as it was running in the background however if it helps I do remeber a part in the program were he gut some wood into layers and glued them back to gether for the ribs (i think), the end covered the construction of the removable keel. It was used with orrs and a sail.

I am very sorry and feel really stupid explaining it like this but thats all I got. As mentioned it seemed very much like one of those Mark Evans shows and although my first guess was that it was him, looking at his filmogrophy it wasnt.

I would would be extremely grateful is anybody could help, or maybe point to a good small boat building show/documentary

Thank you in advance

oughtoc

Visit site
Well, there was the far superior Getting Afloat by Nick Gates, who rebuilt a sharpie & fixed a mirror as well as showing various jobs in progress (re-engine, planking, etc) on different boats. Well presented, gorgeous real boats and real enthusiasts. Second series long overdue.

Then there was Dreamboats with Anton Fitzpatrick. He built a small double ender out of ply. More of a hobby program than a boat builder program. There was a section in each episode that looked at some of the most high gloss boats on the market (hence the title). I got the feeling that Anton was a carpenter rather than a boatbuilder - ie, works in wood & this week's project was a dinghy.

BTW, Mr Gates often dips into this forum, so if you're there Nick, how about another series - Life Aboard a Lugger or somesuch?

Skal

Visit site
Thanks oughtoc :) I googled the titles and found some screen captions from the shows and it was Dreamboats I saw that day, thank you. I havn't seen Getting Afloat so I will have to have a look. Does anybody know were I might be able to find theese show on TV or to watch online? Cheers

Seanick

www.nickgates.co.uk
Getting Afloat

Thanks guys, but no plans for another series. However I did do a little filming for BB4 the other week, so never say never!

I plan to put Getting Afloat on You Tube soon, any suggestions as to which Thingumy gadget would be best to get the videos on to my lap top so I can Upload them?

If you want to see 'life on a lugger' have a look at 'The further adventures of Ocean Pearl pt1' on You Tube and Vimeo. That covers a bit of it!

Nick

wildboar72

Visit site
Good news on getting Afloat as I have looked for it on DVD or other in the past, Mark Evans has quite a business going for his DVD series...........

dowtchaboy

Visit site
I appreciate it's resurrecting an old thread but 'twas a good series:

Getting Afloat is being broadcast at the moment - well it starts again on April 20th (2011):

Discovery Travel & Living
Season 1 episode 1: 06.00 repeated 0900 and again on 21st at 0400 !!!
Episode 2 is 25 minutes later.

I would assume there will be 2 more episodes at that time every week?? And I presume Nick will get a few pence (or Eurocents in my case) for each repeat broadcast?

It was on Discovery Realtime and some other flavour Discovery before that.

Found this info via a useful site :
http://www.locatetv.com/tv/getting-afloat/181026
or just go to www.locatetv.com and do a search.

If you don't have Sky (as I don't) you'll have to find it elsewhere - there's a dodgy download/torrent or two about with 1 or 2 episodes but not the whole series.

I particularly recall the one involving removal and installation of an engine while on a muddy bank! Clever and class.

I wonder if the cute little terrier (Jess?) (who knew when it was time to tack) is long gone?

stewart9901

Visit site
you may also want to search for boat yard, i watched a few episodes of it a couple of days ago. it was not very detailed but any program about boats is better than a trashy soap!

DownWest

Visit site
I remember Dream boats with Anton Fitzpatrick. He was building an Oughtred design (Elf?)
A friend was recently offered the boat, still unfinished. Anton decided that boats were not a great idea and moved on to coverting barns.
It actualy got me interested in building a similar boat, been sailing it for the last 5 yrs.

A while back, the Ed of Classic Boat said, " Forget training to be a wooden boat builder, get a job in the city, and employ the few that the industry can support". That was pre the bank probs. But somewhat true.