Bavaria 34 . 20 years old. Hive mind opinions sought please.

Visit site
Dear Salts,

Notwithstanding my comments about being put off buying a boat by all the negative stories I hear on here (first and second-hand) I saw this advert today and was struck by the fact that it has a new engine, and various other bits.

Bavaria - 34 for sale in Hampshire, South East, United Kingdom | Boatshop24

Given I'd really be looking and only going around the S coast, at this sort of money, even if it were to sink (preferably in the marina) , it wouldn't bankrupt me.

What looks like will need replacing is standing and running rigging, so, what? c £4k???? (Guess)

Is the survery going to reveal something shocking at this sort of price?

I'm not rushing in with a handful of 50 pound notes; whatever happens, I'd leave it till Christmas in the hope/belief that more boats will appear and that the market won't go up.

Please feel free to put in any thoughts, within the allowance of moderation policy, even like "Why on earth would you look at a 20 year old Bavaria?" Comments like that normally peeve me, but won't this time, I promise, as I was told in Croatia that old Bavaris seem to leak around the hatch seals.

Hvala Vama!

Pomoroc

Kelpie

Visit site
I doubt it will still be on the market at Christmas.
Seems a good price. Not a whole lot more than I paid for a 1978 boat, albeit mines a bit bigger.

doug748

Visit site
The name is familiar to me, I think I may have sailed on her when she was owned by a sailing school. will have to think about that some more.

Anyway does not mean it's a bad buy and at that price it may well not hang around long.

Bobc

Visit site
The 2-cabin 34 is quite sought-after. The new engine is a big plus, and is a much better unit than the original.

I doubt it will remain on the market for more than a week or two.

doug748

Visit site
Found an old diary, I was wrong about the boat, not the one I knew. Nagging at me now, striking name, maybe I have just seen it sailing or a video.

It looks a very good deal in the present market, unless something is amiss it will be gone very soon. I think Bavarias of that vintage are an excellent proposition for the uses you have in mind. Running rigging rarely needs replacing and standing rigging is not something I would fret about short term.

Tranona

Visit site
As suggested that will be gone in days.

Although some of this model were used for sailing school work don't think this is one it does not have the gear, nor the telltale signs of that sort of usage.

This was Bavaria's most popular model built when the yard was at its peak and apart from the engine and nav gear is pretty original. It is the 2 cabin model which is rare and the new bigger engine is a big plus. I owned a bigger 37 of similar age for 14 years and can vouch for how well they are built and hold together over time. some windows may leak, but no different from any other boat fitted with the same type - these look like Gebo, but some boats are fitted with Lewmar. Only serious things missing are anchor windlass and autopilot, but both relatively easily retrofitted if you need to.

So call Ben at Clipper quick if you are interested in this type of boat. This is well priced and will go quickly. There have been very few 34s on the market this year and all have sold in this price range.

johnalison

Visit site
A friend had a Bav 34 from about 2003. He had a lot of niggles from small things like the electrics and the fridge but it did what it said on the tin. That was in fact the problem as it gave him little sailing satisfaction and he bought a Hanse a couple of years later. I think the fuel capacity was only about 90l, which can be a bit limiting if you are doing expended cruising.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
What looks like will need replacing is standing and running rigging, so, what? c £4k???? (Guess)

Think you're being a bit too pessimistic - going by recent experience, doubt it will set you back more than 2.5-3K.

Looks like a decent boat. Recent engine is a big plus.
Given the current state of the market, doubt it will be around for long.

Tranona

Visit site
I think the fuel capacity was only about 90l, which can be a bit limiting if you are doing expended cruising.

Yes, that is somewhat perverse as the 3 cabin (probably less attractive for extended cruising) has a 150l tank. This is because the tank is under the aft starboard quarter and on the 2 cabin, the large loo goes further back and leaves less room for the tank. On the other hand it makes fitting a holding tank easier. Both variations have a standard 150l water with an option of an additional 150 in the forecabin.

Visit site
Thanks. Years ago we decided to buy a horse. We looked around for a bit and one or two weren't right for us. We coined the phrase, "There's always another horse", and there was in the end. Difference between horses and sailing is that on balance you stay drier, sailing, and boats, being inanimate, don't seem to want to kill you.

ashtead

Visit site
As a former owner of a 3 cabin Bav 2001 which I sold via Ben the marketing price looks just what I achieved in 2015 .Ben is a good guy to deal with and knows these Bavs far more than I do though so ask him any questions. It great it’s got the larger engine and but check shower in heads with hot water and Eber which works? The rudder might have osmosis blisters but easily fixed for a price. If it doesn’t have the windlass then when built they cut away the grp which supported the unit . Check the sail drive seal has been recently replaced (guess it was as new engine) by now the poor original elvstrom sails have been replaced with some quality ones but check which ones . Keels are prone to rust so Fertan becomes part of annual process. The thickness of the mattresses are rather thin but looks like the coverings have been replaced from hideous yellow found on some. I see it’s a Gosport boat but not aware of it at Haslar. Would be nice if it had a cockpit tent so if buying I would looking to fit but personal choice. If you have questions happy to answer. As for sailing they are fine but reef early and a pain the main sheet is controlled from cabin top but it has a traveller so can let down. As specked the headsail is perhaps too large for Solent so it might have been reduced in size to avoid early furling . Whether a 2 cabin is more desirable than 3 is immense personal choice but without the heads intruding the bow cabin might be more spacious. Never had any issues with our fridge but did replace chartplotter ( as this one has been replaced) .not quickest boat but faster than a Hallberg 34. I can suggest a surveyor who surveyed mine on sale if you want a name and need to be frightened. Ours is currently sailing out of northern Uk waters and keeps going . For rigging plenty of chaps around but time keeping is not their strongest point let’s say.

Rafiki

Visit site
Dear Salts,

Notwithstanding my comments about being put off buying a boat by all the negative stories I hear on here (first and second-hand) I saw this advert today and was struck by the fact that it has a new engine, and various other bits.

Bavaria - 34 for sale in Hampshire, South East, United Kingdom | Boatshop24

Given I'd really be looking and only going around the S coast, at this sort of money, even if it were to sink (preferably in the marina) , it wouldn't bankrupt me.

Is the survery going to reveal something shocking at this sort of price?

I'm not rushing in with a handful of 50 pound notes; whatever happens, I'd leave it till Christmas in the hope/belief that more boats will appear and that the market won't go up.

Please feel free to put in any thoughts, within the allowance of moderation policy, even like "Why on earth would you look at a 20 year old Bavaria?" Comments like that normally peeve me, but won't this time, I promise, as I was told in Croatia that old Bavaris seem to leak around the hatch seals.

Hvala Vama!

Pomoroc
Snap it up my friend, why would you change the rigging ? The biggest boat yard on the East Coast told me that their rule of thumb was that rigging should be changed after 10,000 hours. This boat has probably done 2,000 hours unless it has sailed the Atlantic and back.

Putting it on here has probably resulted in it being sold already ! In fact I would buy it myself bit am looking for a 2 cabin Bav 37 !

johnalison

Visit site
Never had any issues with our fridge but did replace chartplotter ( as this one has been replaced) .not quickest boat but faster than a Hallberg 34. I can suggest a surveyor who surveyed mine on sale if you want a name and need to be frightened. Ours is currently sailing out of northern Uk waters and keeps going . For rigging plenty of chaps around but time keeping is not their strongest point let’s say.
We cruised in company in my HR34 with my friend's Bav 34. The longer waterline of the Bav made it faster downwind but we were faster upwind. In cruising terms most of the boats of this size and age are much the same.

Jodel

Visit site
It looks like a low spec boat. No lockers in either cabin - just shelves. No mention of any sort of anchor windlass. The cooling system on the engine suggests that there is no hot water system and no autopilot fitted. The price looks “ok” but I wouldn’t describe it as a bargain. I’d be asking why the engine needed replacement for starters.

Tranona

Visit site
Putting it on here has probably resulted in it being sold already ! In fact I would buy it myself bit am looking for a 2 cabin Bav 37 !
Very sensible. We had a 3 cabin 37, but would have preferred a 2 cabin. However for charter work number of berths is all important and our boat was coded for 8 in Greece, and often did have 8 on board for a week's charter.

Surprised that Bavaria and others did not continue using the layout of the 37 as perfect for a couple with occasional guests.

Tranona

Visit site
It looks like a low spec boat. No lockers in either cabin - just shelves. No mention of any sort of anchor windlass. The cooling system on the engine suggests that there is no hot water system and no autopilot fitted. The price looks “ok” but I wouldn’t describe it as a bargain. I’d be asking why the engine needed replacement for starters.
That is a standard spec boat and has plenty of storage, more than its competitors at the time. It does have hot water - you can clearly see the take off pipe at the front of the engine - it was a standard fitment, despite the fact that when new it was the cheapest boat of its size (actually close to 36' although called a 34). You are right it does not have a windlass or autopilot, few of that size did at the time. The original engine would have been a 2020 which was marginal. Does not matter why it was replaced, having a nearly new engine of the latest type is a big plus, as is having virtually new sails, canvas work, batteries and modern electronics.

For all these reasons plus the fact it is an excellent boat for the job means it will be sold within days.

Sandydog2

Visit site
We owned a Bavaria 34 2001 2 cabin layout from new, for 12 years. She is much missed. Hot water was standard both in the heads and the sugar scoop shower. There are 2 large wardrobes in the fore cabin and one in the aft cabin. Loads of storage. The 2 cabin version has a huge cockpit locker. When new the main niggles were nowhere to store the washboard, which is a heavy chunk of Perspex, and also the removable transom seat. We had stowage for the washboard made in the heads. Also some flotation glassed into the seat as they sink beautifully ! I wish we had also fitted a proper passerelle as we were in Turkey and Greece, so mainly mooring stern too. The only big repairs we had were replacing the sikaflex on the teak decks (it was wrong from the start, a faulty batch which dissolved), the exhaust pipe disintegrated entirely, and the calorifier tank had to be replaced as it leaked like a sieve. The jib was ideal for light winds but we wished we had got a number 2 jib made as well.

Last edited:

dom

Visit site
Just seen this thread: so if all else is good, it needs new rigging + poss new rudder bearings, etc. and you’re good to go for sub-£5k.

In the day job, I pay for things what I think they’re worth, while keeping a weather eye out for professional valuation metrics.

If I liked that boat and if I had the money, I would reserve it subject to survey on the spot.

You snooze you lose!
?

ashtead

Visit site
As mentioned in post#18 the black stuff in the cockpit can become sticky but I’m not entirely certain it is actually sikaflex but just mention as even without the teak decks can be an issue but can be cut out and refilled if you don’t have the teak decks ie lots of it quite simply as a diy project. The jib for Uk working ie in Solent type congestion can be reduced in area slightly to give more undersail vision without making under canvassed. Washboard is a pain but maybe with a 2 cabin version you can make a bracket to hold in locker . The actual length at10.8m is 35ft 8in I believe . I would definitely be fitting an autopilot -windlass rather depends on berthing habits and crew -if you spend every weekend anchored at Studland Bay you might want one I guess.