Anchoring in Kirby Creek

Skellum

Visit site
I have - deep fried in a fishing village in Hong Kong! They aren't bad done like that But my wife ordered one at Fionnphort while waiting for the Iona ferry, and was a bit taken aback when it arrived raw with a slice of lemon! She ate it, but I think it's on the "never again" list. Takes a lot to put a Hong Konger off sea food!
They are best raw with a slice of lemon! Always a very popular option with the locals when we get them at RHKYC! I have seen them put dried oysters in congee here but doesn’t appeal.

Black Diamond

Visit site
Didn't have the oysters when we visited a couple of years ago, but the king prawns were astonishingly good. It is a superb club. We tried to blag our way in, flashing our WMYC cards, but because our club doesn't have a royal warrant, we went through the rigmarole of temporary guest registration. It was well worth it, as we spent the whole day on the balcony, the humid August day made more bearable by the fogging machines. Spent a fortune, but it's the best spot in town.

Sorry about the 5,930 mile thread drift.

Skellum

Visit site
They only get them certain times of the year, but yes it’s not a bad spot to chill out! Sadly no racing at the moment due to Covid though.

steved

Visit site
I also dropped the hook in Kirby Creek the other day, not that far from where some other yachts were anchored, when an elderly couple made their way to my boat by dinghy and advised I was not allowed to anchor there and questioned why had I not seen or read the sign at the entrance. They were not the politest of people and after the 'discussion' returned to one of the anchored yachts!, hey ho, life's to short to argue the toss so we moved to the open water of Hamford Water.

However, I have to say the signage is not particularly clear or easy to read without using binoculars..

Jokani

Visit site
I also dropped the hook in Kirby Creek the other day, not that far from where some other yachts were anchored, when an elderly couple made their way to my boat by dinghy and advised I was not allowed to anchor there and questioned why had I not seen or read the sign at the entrance. They were not the politest of people and after the 'discussion' returned to one of the anchored yachts!, hey ho, life's to short to argue the toss so we moved to the open water of Hamford Water.

They didn't say why they were 'allowed' to anchor, but you/other yachts are not?

Slowboat35

Visit site
But my wife ordered one at Fionnphort while waiting for the Iona ferry, and was a bit taken aback when it arrived raw with a slice of lemon! She ate it, but I think it's on the "never again" list. Takes a lot to put a Hong Konger off sea food!

How else would you expect an oyster to be served?
Or was she expecting tabasco rather than lemon?
;)

Slowboat35

Visit site
No one would ever expect oysters to be cooked in UK unless specifically stated any more than one would expect chickens' feet to be part of a human (as oposed to a fox's) menu here.
I also very much doubt whether the 'oysters' found in Kong Kong are remotely the same as the cold-water variety we usually eat raw in uk.
As I'm sure you know perfectly well...

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
No one would ever expect oysters to be cooked in UK unless specifically stated any more than one would expect chickens' feet to be part of a human (as oposed to a fox's) menu here.
I also very much doubt whether the 'oysters' found in Kong Kong are remotely the same as the cold-water variety we usually eat raw in uk.
As I'm sure you know perfectly well...
You're probably right about them being a different species ; they're much bigger than UK oysters; it takes several bites to eat one. But I'm pretty sure they are oysters; my knowledge of taxonomy gained from studying geology goes that far.

Skellum

Visit site
You're probably right about them being a different species ; they're much bigger than UK oysters; it takes several bites to eat one. But I'm pretty sure they are oysters; my knowledge of taxonomy gained from studying geology goes that far.
You are right - in HK the local oysters are generally served cooked or dried and used as a flavouring. However the raw natural ones are popular here, but are imported from NZ, Australia or Europe.
My wife often eats chicken feet but I won’t touch the stuff!

nortada

Visit site
‘A retired oyster Ed person’. Is such an interesting concept.

Wonder if they are a good lay❓??

The company harvesting those oysters used to operate from a small shed beside Bedwell’s Boat Yard, Walton and Frinton Yacht Club. They used to export the catch to Belgium ?? but understood they shut up shop because EU regulations and very frequent testing - couple of times a week (harassment) made the venture no longer viable.

As we have now left the EU they are able to start up again❓

Believe the bed was home to local oysters and the much faster growing, Pacific oyster.

Steve or Richard at Bedwells or Tony - The Seal Man - operating out of Titchmarsh Marina may well know the answer.??

Last edited:

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
You are right - in HK the local oysters are generally served cooked or dried and used as a flavouring. However the raw natural ones are popular here, but are imported from NZ, Australia or Europe.
My wife often eats chicken feet but I won’t touch the stuff!
I feel the same way about chickens feet! Fortunately, my wife doesn't care for them either.

ianc1200

Visit site
Wonder if they are a good lay❓??

The company harvesting those oysters used to operate from a small shed beside Bedwell’s Boat Yard, Walton and Frinton Yacht Club. They used to export the catch to Belgium ?? but understood they shut up shop because EU regulations and very frequent testing - couple of times a week (harassment) made the venture no longer viable.

As we have now left the EU they are able to start up again❓

Believe the bed was home to local oysters and the much faster growing, Pacific oyster.

Steve or Richard at Bedwells or Tony - The Seal Man - operating out of Titchmarsh Marina may well know the answer.??
I'm hearing Owen is the man to speak to, eother via getting his contact no. via Bedwells, or catch him in his blue dinghy at Titchmarsh. Thoughts are he may have sold/passed the licence to somebody else. (I'm told he also does oysters at W Messea). But have again heard storys re a sewer pipe diacharging into the creek, and e coli being the reason it stopped before.

nortada

Visit site
I'm hearing Owen is the man to speak to, eother via getting his contact no. via Bedwells, or catch him in his blue dinghy at Titchmarsh. Thoughts are he may have sold/passed the licence to somebody else. (I'm told he also does oysters at W Messea). But have again heard storys re a sewer pipe diacharging into the creek, and e coli being the reason it stopped before.

My understanding was oysters hadn’t changed but the EU criteria did.

The oysters were destined for The EU so post the end of this year, game on❓✔️

Supine Being

Visit site
My understanding was oysters hadn’t changed but the EU criteria did.

The oysters were destined for The EU so post the end of this year, game on❓
Any EU regs will have been subsumed into UK law. So a change of law would be required to be 'game on'. I'm no expert, but I'd be surprised if even this government were in a hurry to erode food safety regs in such a way as to open the door to norovirus and salmonella.

Apart from that, the oysters were destined for the continent because the people that wanted to buy the oysters live there. If you want to sell to the people that want to buy... well... as you were.