Am I a "real" sailor now?

xyachtdave

Visit site
Our stock emergency food is Stagg Chilli, which is actually quite good or Pot Noodles.

Good call on the Stagg.

I did pick up a Stagg ‘Dynamite’ chilli by mistake, that certainly needed a bit of sour cream on it!

Sandyman

Visit site
The real MAB sailor with heat it up to just north of 'tepid' on a smoky primus, then serve it or eat it direct from the tin withbakelite utensils retaining a 'seasoning' of bacon and diesel.
That's for diesel-boat submariners only. Tough lot they use 'Splash it all over Henry 'diesel aftershave.
After a 3 month cruise on water rationing it kind of hides the body odour :) Now they were real sailors.
Real but bloody smelly.

laika

Visit site
I dont know what they put in the Fray Bentos tins but source material is best eaten locally with a fresh salad and pommes frites (y)

FWIW I consumed my pie avec des frites au four

The real MAB sailor with heat it up to just north of 'tepid' on a smoky primus, then serve it or eat it direct from the tin withbakelite utensils retaining a 'seasoning' of bacon and diesel.

Having only recently moved into a new rented flat and discovering cutlery is one of the many things that I have on the boat but not elsewhere, first mate and I have been using the cutlery from the picnic set which are possibly seasoned with cheese and prosecco. Does that count?

HissyFit

Visit site
Personally I'll give tattoos a miss because they're prohibited in Japanese onsens, which I'd like to go back to.

Pete
I don't think they're prohibited as much as they used to be. I heard tell of sticking plasters being used to cover them. Funnily enough, Dogo Onsen which you'd think of as being as traditional as they come are actually quite chilled about tattoos.

wully1

Visit site
An FB pie is one of the first items in the Tesco trolley when stocking up this new (to me) boatie for its trip home...it’s lurking in the locker at my elbow as I type.
For good order I might pop it in the oven as soon as I get gas onboard. Then again I might continue to exist on jet boil brewed coffee and carry out food until we sail away home and save FB for a rainy stuck on board day..

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Used to be that real sailors rocked up on a sun drenched place with palm trees, drank loadsa rum, slept with a native girl and got a tattoo. These days it's being out of range for your iPhone for ten minutes. ?
Got 2 out of 4 - but probably not the way you picture it! No rum or tattoo - but I'm thinking about the latter ( I rather fancy a Chinese dragon), and will single malt do for the former?

Gwylan

Visit site
FB is a sailie myth. A right of passage. Not clear which passage though.

Worst possible food. Cannot imagine which bits of animals they use to make them. As for the glutinous liquid they use. A left over from some chemical warfare experiment that went wrong.

At least with pot noodles there are better and less bad versions.

Worst trip ever was taking a boat to Portugal in March and the captain's idea of provisions was pot noodles.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
At least with pot noodles there are better and less bad versions.
If you want instant noodles, your local Chinese or Asian store will have a far wider and more interesting range than the supermarkets, with a range of different types of noodle as well as a wide variety of flavours. They are a common lunch or snack meal in the far East.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
If you want instant noodles, your local Chinese or Asian store will have a far wider and more interesting range than the supermarkets, with a range of different types of noodle as well as a wide variety of flavours. They are a common lunch or snack meal in the far East.
and crack an egg in as they come to the boil.