Allowed on boat...

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I fail to see how sailing a laser is or can be prohibited. It is even less a transmission hazard than emptying the dog in the park, taking a bike ride or going to the off licence (apparently an 'essential' activity) and we're told we can do all those.
I also fail to see how driving there has any significant effect on anything either. The 1 in 100,000 chance of having an accident and needing emergency services is descending into such infinitessimal levels of risk that it seems silly.
Ditto going to the boat, even to collect tools. As long as you don't mix with other peope what is the hazard?

And if everyone thought like you about their hobby.

Just stay at home could not be simplier

Cotillion

Visit site
On the PM radio programme, they had a listeners' questions session and one was "Can I drive somewhere to walk?". The answer was yes provided that you walked in a responsibly socially distant manner. So if you drive to the boat, keep away from other people and go out solo or with someone you live with, I can't see the difference between that and driving to go for a walk. Yet again, the governement advice leaves too much leeway for interpretation.
Heard on the TV this morning that this is not Okay. Some have taken to hitching the caravan on and having a bit of a jolly.

Cotillion

Visit site
Whether you think your chance of coming into contact with Covid19 whilst going to the coast and putting to sea is infinitesimally small or not, many others will be extremely vulnerable. The whole country will be suffering economic and social hardships now and it's up to everyone to not be selfish and show solidarity with those less fortunate. Sure go out, stretch your legs and get your heart pumping for an hour or so, but don't take the psis.

Stay at home!

Just seen this;

Attachments

• 90786913_10219878593968536_29499020799901696_n.jpg
    90786913_10219878593968536_29499020799901696_n.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

ex-Gladys

Visit site
Well, Essex Police have been out around Colchester and Mersea a couple of days ago stopping cars... Derbyshire police have issued a video showing examples of "non-essential" travel (driving into the Peaks to walk, walk the dog, take selfies etc).
The fines in place start at £60 and then double for each subsequent offence, hopefully the diehards here will start to have to shell out...

There's enough evidence showing what is considered acceptable and what is not. Even if by the weirdest interpretation it could be acceptable within the rules, it really isn't SOCIALLY ACCEPTABLE...

Stork_III

Visit site
Why are generally sensible sailors on here trying to justify reasons why they can ignore the advice legal instructions to stay at home. The reasons for validly leaving home are quite clear and the penalties quite hefty. £60 first offence rising to £960 for 5th and subsequent offences.

The regulations effective from 1pm 26th March are here. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/pdfs/uksi_20200350_en.pdf

Read them and STAY AT HOME.

Elemental

Visit site
I'm late to this conversation but I can't believe some of the attitudes I'm reading. This is not 'business as usual' nor is it a minor inconvenience - it's a major crisis involving a plague virus that is killing people. The instructions we've been given are crystal clear and (IMHO) don't go far enough. If you sail, someone else says 'why can't I hill walk' and someone else says I'll go for a long bike ride and someone else goes for a m/cycle trip and so on. Each could be done without much contact but before you know it, everyone's moving around again.

There's little discretion and why anyone would attempt to exploit loopholes, is beyond me.

STAY AT HOME

davidej

Visit site
On the PM radio programme, they had a listeners' questions session and one was "Can I drive somewhere to walk?". The answer was yes provided that you walked in a responsibly socially distant manner.
Well it ain't now! No argument you can only drive for certain well defined reasons.

I did see a local rowing around the creeks a couple of days ago.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
Grrr....

If I could only go and get them I could trail the dinghies home and get them done.

That was the plan for tomorrow .

alas...

Frustrating isn't it . If only...........

Fortunately I brought two outboards home to service . Singing in the wheelie bin
in tune with all the mowers round about. Probably the best attention they are ever going to get. What next ?

Dan Tribe

Visit site
Granddaughters got some race training in the garden. The boat was made from deckchairs, mast and boom was scrap timber, old sails from a previous Cadet, spinnaker chute a laundry basket. The windward mark a garden ornament pulled towards them on a rope. Should have put the hose on them for full effect.
Can't copy the Facebook video?

Gilesferr

Visit site
It's not that the government thinks your not isolated if it's just you on your Yacht, it the getting there if you have an accident on the way or fall in your then putting unnecessary stress on the emergency services from Dr's and nurses,to RNLI crew who might have to come to help you. Right now that's the last thing they need and it is INCREDIBLY ARROGANT to think "oh that won't happen to me". I'm hating it I'd love to be tinkering on my Yacht maybe having a little sail but sadly no.

Old Harry

Visit site
It's not that the government thinks your not isolated if it's just you on your Yacht, it the getting there if you have an accident on the way or fall in your then putting unnecessary stress on the emergency services from Dr's and nurses,to RNLI crew who might have to come to help you. Right now that's the last thing they need and it is INCREDIBLY ARROGANT to think "oh that won't happen to me". I'm hating it I'd love to be tinkering on my Yacht maybe having a little sail but sadly no.
If i or Lady Old Harry get a serious dose of cv, it will no doubt be sans air pump for us. So we are taking it quite seriously

Dan Tribe

Visit site
Interesting to look at Marine Traffic AIS.
Hardley any yacht movements anywhere.
May be that they may have switched off tracking I suppose.

Leighb

Visit site
Interesting to look at Marine Traffic AIS.
Hardley any yacht movements anywhere.
May be that they may have switched off tracking I suppose.
y
There was a yacht, I won’t name, went from Burnham to Ramsgate today, perhaps urgent or emergency passage, but perhaps just a jolly?